What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 180hp Core Value

RobinHou

Well Known Member
How much would you pay for a 20-year old first run core removed 4 years ago with about 2200 hours?
Thanks in advance,
Robin

Somewhere between $3,500 and $8,000 depending on a lot of things.

It is all in the details, and as Gary said, "A lot of things." The first question is why was the engine removed? At 2200 hours first run there shouldn't be much wrong, so why was it not overhauled or traded as a core at the time? My big concern would be how and where it was stored for the 4 years. Properly "pickled" and without any damage it could be a real find. With hidden damage, and/or corrosion and rust damage from storage it could be scrap. More information and a thorough inspection is needed before purchase.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

It includes ...

All accessories (carb, mags, harness, starter, fuel pump, ...), complete log, AD compliance when removed and had been pickled since. Is $5,000 reasonable?

ask a rebuild company how much they will pay if you send in a core. often it is right around the $3000 mark.

without guarantees that you can reuse certain components, that is all i would pay for it

I bet there is a crankshaft AD that is applicable.

I would also bet the case would have to be overhauled.

The tappets and lifters and push rods and tubes and sump and other accutrements may be useable.

For sure the accessories have core values.

$ 3500 for sure. Anything over that is a gamble.

Well, ...

I pulled the trigger and brought the O-360-A3A for $5K including shipping & customs fees: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lyco...otors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item2c5e0ecca3

It comes with accessories, logbook, ... Buying from oversea is always risky. Hopefully I won't need to take advantage of PayPal's eBay buyer protection plan.

2ppjzfd.jpg

I pulled the trigger and brought the O-360-A3A for $5K including shipping & customs fees: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lyco...otors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item2c5e0ecca3

It comes with accessories, logbook, ... Buying from oversea is always risky. Hopefully I won't need to take advantage of PayPal's eBay buyer protection plan.

wow you are a brave man, buying an engine off ebay from someone in switzerland. not sure i would have done that... and from seller with no real solid feedback recently...

Back