What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan vs Lycoming

pilot28906

Well Known Member
For an RV-7 engine, IO-360, Horizontal Induction, roller tappets, 2 mags, fixed pitch set-up, 180 HP, 8.5:1 compression; which supplier would you go with? Vans Lycoming SNF special or comparable Titan? Looking for most bang for the buck, reliability, and simple installation with the Van's FWF kit.

Thanks in advance.

You will not go wrong with the engine that Vans Aircraft sells.

I would rather have the real original engine than a COPY of the original. Since it is an original, expect to pay a little bit more.

At Oshkosh 2017 we ordered an O-370 from Continental Titan for a Javron Cub (also available in IO-370). We haven't flown yet but have been very impressed with the delivered engine and Continental Experimental support so far. Vetterman is installing one in his Javron and has developed an exhaust system for it.

Jim

Just got my last years SNF Van's special. Haven't installed it yet, but they were very accommodating.....Two Pmags installed, Van put one and Lycoming did the other, they also delivered it when I wanted it. I also feel the firewall forward kit will more than likely work better. Although I did see an engine builder at SNF this year about 2 grand cheaper. I guess that amounts to about 1 grand cheaper if you figure in the prop deal, I also wouldn't have the free shipping and pickling. I'm happy with Van's deal.
Allen
Very slow build 7A

Purchased Titan O360 roller tappet and am currently installing it on an existing RV4. Very happy with the service from James Ball and crew. They are willing to accommodate special requests, building the engine exactly the way you want it. Comparing pricing and features with other clones and Lycoming through Vans, It was significantly less money.

Titan Engines

Titan is not just a copy of a Lycoming. there are MANY improvements to the original design many of which were identified and corrected through testing. Now that Titan is part of the OEM, Continental Motors, you can be assured of the quality and backing of them. Most of the parts are FAA PMA approved and are manufactured in Continental Motors manufacturing facilities in the USA and in Germany. The Titan Engines advertisement on in the ribbon on the left has a link or call 251 436 8122 for details.

Back