What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Zippy-Dripless Zip-Loc oil filter change!

Hartstoc

Well Known Member
This is the technique I’ve been using to change oil filters for 25years. Aplogies to anyone else who has come up with this idea and posted in the past- easier to describe with pictures, all you need is a 1-gallon Zip-Loc bag, preferably the sturdier freezer version. The link below should take you to a set of photos with explanatory captions that you can scroll through- just be sure it stays in “roll view”- Otis

https://public.fotki.com/Hartstoc/zip-loc-oil-filter-/?view=roll

Last edited:
Nice! The trick I am doing for 7 years. However I am working from the other side. You can also stuff some napkins inside the Z-loc. :)

Last edited:
My oil filter adapter hangs the filter down so you would think it would not be messy. I changed my oil for the first time the other day and I got oil everywhere. I will try the bag next time but I am getting a 2" piece of pipe to put whrer the oil plug goes so it doesn't get oil in the forks from the back plug. That and a big tarp for the floor!

In CA, you can do it with 10 cents, that is how much a nice plastic bag at grocery store cost. Last year, it was free and I double bagged for extra measure :)
The new plane will have a upright oil filter adaptor, I wonder how many oil change I need to do to recop the cost of the oil filter housing from B&C :confused:

Brilliant! I'm gonna try this ... after my engine is installed and we're flying!

Bookmarked.

All I have to say is "Why didn't I ever think of that!!!" I keep cat littler in the hanger for my all too frequent spills. Thanks for sharing. Looks like the ticket to me.

Great idea. I've tried to use the zip-lok bag before but the step I was missing was to loosen the filter first. Duh...

Great idea on the dog training pads, too. Thanks, Guys!

+1 for Form-a-Funnel

While we are rehashing this topic, don't forget FORM-A-FUNNEL®. Comes in a couple of sizes. Works great.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/faf-2pckit.php

This is what I use as well -- maybe a drip or too on a hose I have to wipe up, but otherwise mess free to include the filter. I don't like the ziplock bag method because when you go to cut open the filter, you've got a messy filter to deal with. YMMV.....

Last edited:
While I don't own one, I'm in the Form a Funnel method camp.

At first oil change, I rummaged around the hangar and found a piece of aluminum angle that sits perfectly under the oil filter joint and guides the drip to the pan just like the Form a Funnel. My filter position is stock, no angle adapter.

Have not spilled a drop yet after a dozen times, plus the filter comes off the engine bone dry. Probably jinxed myself here. Oil change in 2 hrs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
All I have to say is "Why didn't I ever think of that!!!" I keep cat littler in the hanger for my all too frequent spills. Thanks for sharing. Looks like the ticket to me.

Dido!!!! so simple, and I have spent 20 years wiping up oil :(

The space below the oil filter in the pics looks like Carlsbad Caverns compared to my installation with the prop Gov. directly below. ...a disposable towel is the only solution have found.

Back