VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Crateless in RV-6

Getting a crate into the RV-6 is difficult unless it's quite small. A 50 lb dog is very doable uncrated. Heavy plastic followed by a pad and some towels protect the airplane and provide comfort for the dog. A tiedown point on centerline at the front of the baggage bin allows the dog to be tethered so that it can stand of lie down, but not climb forward. A Supertracks canopy track extension is coming to make it easier to load the baggage bin.

Cheers, David
Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM

He came up as a rescue on Pilots and Paws. The group sending him has done several through them : http://www.australianshepherdsfurever.org/

Very cool dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Martin,

Where do you find dogs for adoption like Bandit? I would have taken him.
O320 - CS - IFR
Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
I am thinking of flying some PNP missions in either my Cessna Cardinal ( remove the back seat for big dogs) or my RV6. Does everyone use a crate to contain the dog? What about big dogs that wont fit in a crate that can be placed in the airplane?
Bruce
I've flown a few dogs in my 7 and none have been crated. I looked around for a soft sided crate but they don't seem to be made to fit an RV without giving up some useable space. And they seem to be unable to hold a curious dog in place, from the reviews I've read. Also, the dogs are mostly crated when they get to you, whether you are the 1st leg or the last. I always specify I can't use a crate for size reasons.

If I fly the flight alone, I take out the passenger seat and put 2 or 3 harbor freight moving blankets down and create a little bit of a cradle with them. They are ALWAYS on sale for $5.99 and once folded to fit the plane space, will contain any potential "issues" you may have. I have not had an issue yet... If a friend wants to come with me I put the blankets in the baggage area. Most dogs have been energetic and curious once loaded but all have slept once we started taxiing and the canopy was closed. I tether to the support behind the seat and keep it long enough for the dog to lay down, but short enough to keep them from reaching the controls. You can add some shade in the Summer.

Like someone else said, it's a great thing if you like helping animals. I began just taking trips that had 15 pound sized dogs. My last trip was a VERY energetic Springer Spaniel of about 25 pounds. I realized then I could probably handle a 40 pound dog. Incidentally, the tether is more to keep the do in the plane during open-canopy ops prior to takeoff. Every dog I have transported has been an attention hound! Just some ideas. Give it a try.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Default Pnp in RV-8

Thanks for all of the great info! One last question - what about the noise level in the cockpit? I am always shocked at just how loud it is if I even lift one of the ear cups on my Bose headset to adjust sunglasses. Does the noise level not bother dogs and cats? Thanks again for info!

Last edited by LuckyDuck : 01-20-2018 at 10:42 AM.