What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of top cowl for Plenum Layup

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
Just curious who has used the top cowl as a mold for a plenum and your results and thoughts. Seems to me an easy way to cut some work down.

That is how a buddy did his-----low tack contact cement used to add a half inch piece of flexible foam insulation, then packing tape for a mold release.

BID and carbon with vinyl ester resin-----

Yes, used the cowl to make a mold to make the plenum. Used carbon fiber and WEST Aero epoxy then kiln post cured it. I have lots of photos if interested.

Thanks Paul

Yes, used the cowl to make a mold to make the plenum. Used carbon fiber and WEST Aero epoxy then kiln post cured it. I have lots of photos if interested.

I reviewed your website. The plenum shots are helpful. My deal is a little complicated in that I'm using a 390 with front governor. Also, there is VERY little clearance between the top of the engine and top cowl.

Thanks again.

Darwin,

I made one like this from a SJ cowl then made a mold from that after making it fit. Just remember (I didn't) the engine is twisted and lays oddly on the contours of the upper cowling. Also if it is made from the upper, just dropping 1/2" won't make 1/2" clearance on the sides - where it is closest. But - if you make it thin you can drape it over the baffles to get the contour adjusted and flanges marked. Imagine a semi circle with a 1/2" displaced center, it is close on the sides. Mikes comment about the "spacer" should negate any issue and make a smooth layup foundation. Definitely better than what I did.

You will have to add flanges after forming on engine or in cowl.

If you want to make it pretty, smooth, and evenly spaced from the cowling on sides, It might be easier to make on top of the engine like DanH and Pete Howell did. Having done it (myself) the within the cowl, and if you are only making one, I think this will yield less work overall and a more definitive process.

I like the way crabandy took off the baffles and turned them upside down over the plenum cover to make the flanges. Just be sure the twist is accounted for.

Just an opinion, though. Either way works. In cowl, more finishing work, on engine more contour sanding before layups. Maybe a toss up.

There is more experimentation both Andy, and I, tried if you want to know.

Last edited:
Back