What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

chief2horse

chief2horse

I'm New Here
RV-4 Canopy Question

The lanyard that holds the canopy on my RV-4 open, broke recently. I understand that some RV-4s have replaced the lanyard with a strut. Is this the same strut kit as used on the RV-6 tip up? If not, where could I get a strut for this. Thanks

There have been many variants of struts used. As far as I know, there isn't any kit out there. I have a strut as do many others, and it requires a couple simple brackets to be made and source a strut. You should be a leader to search the forums and see many. You can PM me for some pics of mine if you'd like.

I just got done yesterday building my canopy support for my -4. I'm using a 23" extended gas strut with a 10lb rating. I started with a 20lb and it was way to much. My RV is being build as a tall guy model so my seat and roll bar are moved back.

IMG_1210.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Whatever you do, you need more than just a lanyard. That's playing Russian Roulette with the wind, because nothing is holding it open if the wind is from the right.

I put a shock strut on the 1st -4 I owned; the current one has an aluminum scissor mechanism that goes over center when open. If you want dimensions, let me know & I'll measure for you.

That looks like a good fix. Thanks. Have already ordered a strut from Van's but it's not that long. Where did you get yours?

Strut system

There have been many variants of struts used. As far as I know, there isn't any kit out there. I have a strut as do many others, and it requires a couple simple brackets to be made and source a strut. You should be a leader to search the forums and see many. You can PM me for some pics of mine if you'd like.

Bill's is super sweet.
Yes, I have strut envy.

My replacement was built from chevy suburban parts and a strut from McMaster- Carr.
It works well, yet, if I ever replace it, I'll use a #50 strut lift force instead of the whimpy #30. I incorrectly thought that would be plenty because the whole canopy doesn't weigh that much.
Wrong again.

If you want the parts list and a couple of pix just let me know.

Daddyman

Back