What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting Seperating Skin

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Hello Crew. The -7 wing leading edge instructions state to start with the aft most holes on each rib (top and bottom) and use a squeezer to set the rivets. I am having an issue with the rib flange moving away from the skin when I squeeze the rivet leaving a gap. With the cleko in place, the dimples seem to nest nicely. Squeeze the rivet and a gap opens up as the rib flange moves away from the skin. I did not have this problem with all ribs; some squeezed just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Be sure you are applying pressure against the rivet head (not the tail which forms the shop head) as you squeeze. That's easier to do with a hand squeezer than a pneumatic, but in either case you want to push the rivet head into the skin, which pushes the skin to the rib, while the rivet is squeezed. It doesn't matter which set is moving in the squeezer as long as you pre-load in the proper direction. It helps if the work is not free to move while you squeeze. For the part you are talking about, or stab skins or similar, I lay the part on a table so I can push down against the table. If the bottom side is studded with clecos, it's Ok, they can provide enough support to push against - you don't need to apply tremendous amounts of pressure.

Use the fuel tubing trick.
Get some weedeater fuel tubing from ACE Hardware. (kind of yellowish, or greenish) with appropriate ID for the rivet shank.
Cut into 1/8 to 3/16" long "cylinder" pieces.
Put the tubing piece over the un-bucked rivet tail.
Squeeze.
The tubing holds/pushes on the rib flange while the rivet is set.
Pop the tubing off the rivet shop head.

Back