What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leading edge gap of a tip-up canopy

Glen P

Hi

I did a search using the terms tip-up canopy and gap and got a huge number of threads regarding the gap between the front skin and the canopy skin. That made me feel better about my skin-to-skin gap but I couldn't find any threads that addressed my question.

I've been trimming the front edge of the canopy. I've reached the point where the canopy sits on the skin except for about four inches in the centre. The canopy-to-skin gap in that area is about .060 inches. If I put a 7 lb weight on the front of the canopy the gap is .030 to .040 inches. What do you think? Close enough or keep filing and sanding?

Thanks

Gap

Glen. If you can get by with that small a gap you?re doing much
better than I. If it doesn?t bind you?re all set. Otherwise keep filing until it doesn?t bind you may need more than you think.

yeah, they tend to creep. agree with the previous post. make sure the gap is wide enough to prevent binding now and in the future. if binding occurs it is painful. ask me I know.

Thanks for your help, guys. I guess I was unclear with my question. My concern is not the skin-to-skin gap. I?ve been working on the plexiglass canopy itself. Across the front of the canopy, most of it is sitting on the skin but there?s a gap (about .060 inch) between the canopy and the skin beneath it over a width of about 4 inches. Is that ?close enough? or not?

Back