What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I wait to install my fuel servo and engine controls?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello, I hung the engine today (pics to come in my build log) and won't have much to do until late tomorrow when my dad comes to help me rivet on the forward top skin.

Long story short, would there be any issue with mounting the fuel servo and hooking it up before doing the cowl? Just trying to keep the ball rolling here. It would also be nice to have the controls hooked up before closing the top skin.

It is a horizontal induction M1B. I don't see what the problem would be but figure I better check with the pros. :D

I am not a professional but i don't see any reason not to do so. The fuel servo and associated control cables are well within the build space of the lower cowl. The cowl will not care if there's a connected fuel servo or not.

Last edited:
I am not a professional but i don't see any reason not to do so. The fuel servo and associated control cables are well within the build space of the lower cowl. The cowl will not care if there's a connected fuel servo or not.

Those were my thoughts exactly but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some ridiculous gotcha that would make me take it all apart or if it would be in the way while maneuvering the lower cowl 100 times.

I had the procedure of fitting then finalizing FWF installations as there were a lot of potentially conflicting demands for space. In this case, I can not think of a single reason not to fit it now, establish that the routing, length and potential interferences are acceptable, mark the stops for travel then move on. But beware, it may have to come back off for one reason or another.

It seemed like it was 5 steps forward and 3 steps back for my entire FWF experience. So keep good records of what is NOT finalized in the process or something important will be forgotten - like the intake blocked by a gasket with no hole behind the servo. It was put it there to prevent debris from getting in there and did not take 3 steps back before moving forward. Trouble shooting why the engine would only fire for one rev for first start was interesting. I was using the "what are these parts for" method to ensure it was all installed. 2.5 yrs later I found the base gaskets.

When?

Either way works. Mine gets temporarily installed as needed for fitting and rigging then comes off and lives in a sealed bag. If you leave it on think about the sanding dust and seal it up best you can.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I had the procedure of fitting then finalizing FWF installations as there were a lot of potentially conflicting demands for space. In this case, I can not think of a single reason not to fit it now, establish that the routing, length and potential interferences are acceptable, mark the stops for travel then move on. But beware, it may have to come back off for one reason or another.

It seemed like it was 5 steps forward and 3 steps back for my entire FWF experience. So keep good records of what is NOT finalized in the process or something important will be forgotten - like the intake blocked by a gasket with no hole behind the servo. It was put it there to prevent debris from getting in there and did not take 3 steps back before moving forward. Trouble shooting why the engine would only fire for one rev for first start was interesting. I was using the "what are these parts for" method to ensure it was all installed. 2.5 yrs later I found the base gaskets.

Oh wow, that sounds like it was a fun experience. Great point on keeping good records. I usually do that in an excel sheet as I go but I'll start writing it too when something arises on the spot.

Either way works. Mine gets temporarily installed as needed for fitting and rigging then comes off and lives in a sealed bag. If you leave it on think about the sanding dust and seal it up best you can.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Good points Don. I was planning when the sanding starts to cover the whole engine in a bag like some people do.

I would hold off on riveting the top fwd. skin as long as possible, there always seems to be something to under there.

I would hold off on riveting the top fwd. skin as long as possible, there always seems to be something to under there.

I hear ya, I have been turning my brain gears in overdrive lately to make sure I got everything done. I'm pretty sure I'm all good to go and ready. Avionics wiring done, brakes, center tunnel finished, fuel lines finished, last thing to do is the control cables and their passthroughs. If all else fails I got two new fancy access panels installed. :D

Back