What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uavionix AV-30

OMG....I tried to type a message on my smart tv using the remote. Didn't turn out so well. Sorry for the spelling mess. But I believe I have the problem solved due to the prior informative post. Hopefully now my DG will just read whatever my garmin 295 gps track is and I won't have to keep setting it to the compass like my old vacuum DG. Test that tomorrow. On the AI side of things the instrument is showing my nose is below the horizon when I am straight and level. Not sure how to tweek that yet.

Yes, the units are initialized on the ground and they end up showing a nose up attitude as they should. Found out that you simply turn the knob to position the indicator after you are straight and level if it is off slightly. And now after setting the units to the proper baud rate option they now are totally functional with my gps. Flew today for a couple hours. They are awesome

D -Sub pin removal difficulty

I'm also having difficulty removing the D-Sub pins. The connector is the standard D-Sub and not the high density correct? I have the red and white standard Stein D-Sub extraction tool, can't seem to get it past the end of the wire grip barrel. Need to confirm I have the correct tool for starts
Thanks
P

Yes. Use the white side for extraction. The red side is for insertion (which I practically never use).

Insert the tool straight and don't twist it (ever). If you are not going to use the extracted wire in a new pin position then it helps to cut it down with about 1/4" wire coming out. Then the tool can slide right down the wire and there is no side load on the wire from the harness. then the 1/4" piece of wire can be pinned down by your thumbnail to assist extraction. If it doesn't slide down far enough to feel the pins release try rocking the tool a little side to side as you apply pressure in. If that doesn't work pull the tool out and clock it 90 degrees and re-insert it straight and start trying to work it down again.

You could also just use a new 15-pin D-Sub connector and pin it anew. I like to do that to save time and I also like to use backshells with thumbscrew hardware rather than pesky slotted screws. I went down to my local electronic supply store and bought a bag of thumbscrews to replace connector screws when able.

Why are so many folks having to "de-pin" the connector? I don't know what uAvionix does as my only experience with the AV-30 was from when Aerovonics supplied the units. Aerovonics would include a pre-wired harness with laser-labeled wires. Is uAvionix populating the unused connector positions with spare socket pins?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.
I?ll give your method a try.
Steinair video is saying the white side is for removal and red side is for insertion?
I?m not so sure what uAvionix is doing, I?m guessing that they are catching up with taking on the AV30 and making some changes? No spare socket pins in the harness, the harness wires are too short; I had to contact them to get the updated installation/operation manual which has changes to the wiring and operation of the unit from the manuals posted on their website. The new installation manual is calling out for shielded wiring for all connections; the harness has no shielded wiring installed, they?re also now calling out for some bonding requirements. In retrospect I should have purchased 2 new 15 pin D-Sub connectors and may still do that. Just trying to do a nice install and avoid soldering onto a short piece of the harness.

Yep. My bad. White side for extracting. All I ever do is look at the extractor tip and don't pay attention to the color of the plastic handle. I will update the color in my next most previous post.

Also, I would go ahead and try the original harness for connections. The Aerovonics installations with non-shielded wire seem to work peachy. Especially on a small airplane where everything is closely located.

Here are some official pin extraction instructions from TE Connectivity:

https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=408-7508&DocType=SS&DocLang=EN

Last edited:
Back