What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit build time for a 9A quickbuild kit vs 14A standard kit

Ditchdoc

I'm New Here
Hello all, I have been wanting to build a plane for years, I have a friend who is just finishing up a RV7 and now I am wanting to build me a RV. My question is which kit will be the fastest to build hour wise? I am looking at either a 9A or a 14A, from what I have heard the 14 kit is a lot faster to build than the 9 Kit because of the updated manufacturing process in the 14. Would the 14 standard build kit have a comparable build time as the 9 quickbuild kit? I know the 14 engine will be more (new) than the 9 but it looks like the 14 standard kit is less than a 9 quickbuild kit. What are your thoughts?

I built a 7A and a 14A, I don't imagine the 9A would be a whole lot different than the 7A.
It took me 15 months for the 7A and 13 months for the 14A both from start to the first flight.
I believe the 14 take nearly the same number of hours to build, perhaps 8-10% less, but it is easier and far better plan, specially for the first time builder.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to VAF

Andy, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Couple thoughts for you -----Mehrdad's shorter time to build the 14 may be partially attributed to it being his second RV. No idea how much that factor is.

Instead of selecting a model based on the build time, I suggest you go get a flight in the various models.

Good luck, CAVU.

Thanks for the information everyone, I hope to travel out to Van's in August maybe that will help me make up my mind.

Back