What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-715 outer seat ribs

Draker

Well Known Member
A couple of questions, if this is fresh in your mind:

First, the instructions have you drill all the inner seat ribs to the center bottom skin, take everything apart to prep/dimple/etc., THEN later while riveting everything, draw the centerline on the bottom flanges of the outer F-715 seat ribs, flute them to curve correctly, and drill them. This doesn't seem right. I've already drawn the center line and aligned it with the pre-punched holes in the skin. Why not drill these now while final-drilling the rest of the ribs? I'd like to try to disassemble/prep/prime this stuff once instead of twice.

Second, the positioning of the F-715 seat rib. The instructions read:

"Position the top of the rib so the distance between the outside of the web and the outer edge of the seat skin is 0.032? (use a bit of scrap for a spacer.) This means a thin strip of flange will be visible past the edge of the seat skin when viewed from the top."

What??? I can't visualize what this means. Where is this 0.032" gap? The bottom flange must sit against the bottom skin. Anyone have a picture of this?

It's been a while, but I did aligned the bottom flange (centerline) to the center bottom skin (F-776) pre-punched holes and the top flange aligned to the aft and forward seat floors. This was done after the center section was riveted together (sans the outer seat ribs).

I understood the gap to be between the outer edge of the seat floor and the F-715 web. This 'loose' fit is to assure that the forward seat floor can be removed with relative ease.

The visible flange is the where the arrow is pointing, it looks more than 0.032" because the 'roundness' of the flange/web bend. Later, when everything is riveted together, there will be a 0.032" gap between the fuselage skin (now riveted to the rib) and the seat floors.

6pUkPtxWJmeONpfHk4pE9NuZ4R8q2urVPAD_swIxGFaegWAJ1ihs0QnXXnpr-E8JfdR1kLEaaXSa7Ch2CE6Chon27JwnYyKJRl2JaJ9t5MWIe1eTseauKnXYff8CV7BVkCSkjFxwdISpj5hgYrMRrT3NdygADtpbE1YDM4FAqVq1K2ZtjEkiebvskrAoo3-_BFHYMemxss235Rg52DVuMW0yZEHXFxs-GJ2mlDtDvgVLvpDPrhFz0OQli4zYXzuSdAqbzRIvtv7yxXXPL1poTVEbHNgO5Wy6cbN0GwFG2Z0HzJm9uIOF9_hGN9_xPAKzUcY_MzJLF-4GNMMt9s69aViVp6dqzauPd4Y4eRyaC0oX3QZpqf9BsFI6VhKIyTtV0O-vW2405vH_hLZFRYlEfn10MY4AR5Cg7v80EaoA_vkgTMT7ttor2nve1EvbXUAoVjGDEjUQz2y6UIJmViRj70ZhEIcpBtySokJDbxGWwDZenPGk5L8fH4JqZ6djYlEU3RBes4bacMcSrYu8NZubAQVIMsJD9Vye4eFgL0vnAVueR44Mu0BkszUgsOCVcJgmnZ_gGXxoCRfLcPC7SSpPnauIrW-ysVF2d6AP4GmnqUgxN6nDSTlNOP4qYMLWL7u3WL-u9zn2KroJwHhHjQew_CQq_0A1_gcuve4B6StTea__PhTBOg=w800-h600-no

Last edited:
I drilled mine early while drilling everything else. Bjorn does a good job illustrating the second question. In the end it's not big deal, I had to file my seat skins a little bit as they were a little close in a couple of spots.

Thanks guys, I get it now. I didn't think to just pull out the seat skin and test fit it. I think I'll just drill all the ribs now while everything is together.

Back