What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8130-12 Eligibility Statement questions

Nova RV

Well Known Member
I think I'm reading too much into the section about listing any commercial assistance. Does a situation like Stein supplying a cut and painted panel fall under commercial assistance and therefore should be listed, or are they merely supplying parts? Or, are the feds looking for something along the lines of you hiring a company like Synergy for pay to provide building assistance?

I suppose it could be a grey area, but I would think of it as purchasing a component. We don't list lycoming as commercial assistance because they assembled our engine, even though we are able to buy all of the engine parts individually and some builders do just that.

They are really looking for paying for commercial assistance to do the major build work that you do.

Larry

I suppose it could be a grey area, but I would think of it as purchasing a component. We don't list lycoming as commercial assistance because they assembled our engine, even though we are able to buy all of the engine parts individually and some builders do just that.

They are really looking for paying for commercial assistance to do the major build work that you do.

Larry

Not too grey according to AC 20.27 - avionics are specifically called out, as well as engines and props -

(2) Identifying Which Items Can Be Installed Using Commercial Assistance. You may get unlimited commercial assistance for non-checklist items on a kit evaluated by the FAA. A non-checklist item is a task or process that is not listed on the Amateur-Built Aircraft Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2009). These items also include painting and the installation of interior upholstery or avionics. Such a task or process would not be required to be personally completed by the amateur builder for the aircraft to receive an airworthiness certificate under § 21.191(g). Other non-checklist items include fabrication of engines, propellers, wheels and brake assemblies, and standard aircraft hardware.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/4db2c5cd655cb3cc86257647004af4ee/$FILE/AC%2020-27G.pdf

Last edited:
The good part about these "excepted" items is that if you have them done, it doesn't count against you, but if you DO them yourself, you get credit toward the 51%.

Back