VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 PM

I did a test start on the engine today. Ran smoothly at 760 rpm on the EI. I didn't have a helper, and the mag was not running well after being overhauled, so I did not do the timing. My question is what rpm is best to do the timing at? Can it be accomplished at idle, or should another range be used?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 PM

I like to use 1000 rpm. Set that range to a value you have marked on your flywheel 10/ 25 etc. Make sure rpm reads 1000 in gauge mode.

Shoot it with the gun and set Magnet Position so mark coincides with your timing entered.

Default is 90 on a Lycoming. With single pickups we usually see 89-91, dual picks around 86 on one and 93 on the other.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 07-17-2018, 08:20 AM

Any suggestions on a flight test card for verifying proper operations in flight? Any procedures on tweaking performance variables? Typically I fly 2-4500', and sometimes a bit higher on longer flights, so far never higher than 8,500 because I rarely travel far enough to justify the climb. Plus I like looking at the ground.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 AM

I can send you a performance worksheet that allows you to keep track of your advance/performance relationship. This is used for refining a custom curve though. I thought you were running the curve Ross did for you- if so, then treat it like any other ignition. Do the EOR checks, monitor temps, fly.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
I can send you a performance worksheet that allows you to keep track of your advance/performance relationship. This is used for refining a custom curve though. I thought you were running the curve Ross did for you- if so, then treat it like any other ignition. Do the EOR checks, monitor temps, fly.
Please send what you have. I will be running Ross' curve at first, but the point of this ignition is to tweak

Do you by any chance have a procedure to test the installation? Once I get the recalcitrant mag behaving and the compression test completed, it will be ready to button up and test fly.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Aside from the normal runup checks, it's hard to think of a formal test card for the ignition. Assuming you have the correct circuit protection and won't pop a breaker on climbout, all you really have to do is monitor the displayed advance in the gage window (to make sure it doesnt do something unexpected). The rest is really looking at CHT/EGT to see how the engine responds. Ross set you up with a very benign curve though - I wouldn't expect to see anything even remotely different.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 07-25-2018, 06:17 PM

A heads up to those interested in CPIs, we are sold out at the moment but hope to have more PCBs from the soldering facility sometime next week. They've been in process for around a month now as we saw supplies dwindling quickly in June and put another batch in for loading and soldering then.

Thanks to all those folks who've ordered and given us lots of positive feedback.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Got the engine timed today after the rains let up. We attempted to create as much shade as we could with a hanger door and afternoon sun position, but it was still not easy to see the marks. I would suggest timing at dusk, or not being a cheapskate like me and invest in a daylight readable timing light.

Ended up with 92˚ magnet position. We timed while only the EI was operating; the mag was grounded. Hope this was the correct procedure.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 AM

If the "system being timed" is also the "system running the engine" (think about that for a second), there is no issue as long as the engine is stable. That said, if you have a split system (a magneto in your case), its best to let that other system run the engine while you fool with the timing (assuming the magneto is functioning and timed properly). The reason for this is that modifying magnet position in situ is also changing effective timing and this will change RPM some. With the engine running on the magneto at data plate timing this is no big deal because the mag is so far advanced from the EI that the latter is just sparking on smoke... Fooling with magnet timing will have no effect on RPM.

Glad you got it sorted. Time to fly and enjoy!

Michael Robinson
Old 07-27-2018, 03:25 PM

What I did notice today during trials is when the magneto is engaged, I'll get a 100 rpm increase at around idle speed (680-700rpm). If I kill (depower) the EI coil and run on the mag, I get a 30rpm drop. If I ground the mag, I'll get ~100 rpm drop. Is this to be expected when running a split system? Is it a result of the timing differences at low rpm?

Last edited by maus92 : 07-27-2018 at 03:28 PM.