What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you lend out your tools??

noelf

Well Known Member
Kind of, sort of, ranting, depressing...

I have lent out some of my tools, you know, the unique ones that either help with the impossible riveting solutions, or maintenance stuff that one would rather not buy but make maintaining and troubleshooting our aircraft easier.

Well, I have lent them out to other builders and flyers with the promise of having them returned within the week. I did not bother with writing down names or insisting on some type of collateral "hostage" and I just forgot about the lent out tool. Turns out they just didn't get return...even after a year +. And I just don't remember who I lent them to. So, the tool(s) are just gone and I find myself having to buy the same tools again. *%@!.

Then there are the tools or material that I provide with the stipulation that they just replace what is used...and they never get replaced or restocked. It's like I am providing the builders with free material so they can move forward with their projects and I am left with empty bens of parts solutions that I use for my own projects.

If any of the VAF readers recognize my signature, I am putting out a notice that I am no longer lending out any of my tools or parts for any reason whatsoever.

Yep

Sorry to hear that.

I typically don't mind helping folks out, but I also have found that very few people even offer to replace what they take.

As far as tools, I am a tool guy...I really don't like to let them go. I have no problem assisting and bringing the tools but they usually go home with me.

I loan SOME tools to a selected few. But I always write down to whom and when.

Precision tools may be used at my shop, but not taken away. I set a rule a long time ago that if I had to borrow the same tool twice, it is time to purchase my own. I encourage others to do the same.

Tools

I loan SOME tools to a selected few. But I always write down to whom and when.

Precision tools may be used at my shop, but not taken away. I set a rule a long time ago that if I had to borrow the same tool twice, it is time to purchase my own. I encourage others to do the same.

Same here. I keep records and if they don't return on schedule, I start e-mailing. Thankfully, every borrower has been very gracious. One or two even gave a gift in return.

Some folks do - and I'm grateful

Three years ago, just after our house fire, fellow Virginian and RV builder Chuck Hagerty of Inverted: Looking back on Walking Away fame heard about my plight and my RV-10 project and made an unsolicited offer to a near-stranger (me - turns out I gave him an RV ride long ago in forgotten memory at a fly-in) to borrow his sheet metal tools for my build.

I have used one or more of Chuck's tools almost every day since then, always with a thankful heart for his generosity. When I am done (hopefully soon) I shall return every tool he loaned me in the same condition I received it, or it will be replaced with new. I cannot thank him enough for his kindness and selflessness - Chuck personifies what an airplane guy is supposed to be about. What a great fraternity :)

Last edited:
I think I do very similar to Mel. Life isn't nearly as fun if I horde all my toys, I mean tools, for myself. I find great joy in sharing. However, I have had the OP problem in earlier years when I wasn't as adamant about keeping track. We have a pretty large list of good friends that have free reign of the shop. "We built it to share. Please use it. It improves our ROI. You don't have to bug me to ask unless you don't know how to use a machine that could kill you or..." We have a tool and material sign out sheet by the door. It doesn't get used a whole lot (people would rather do their project in the climate controlled shop.), but they do know that we're serious about keeping track for the exact reason stated.
I too have a complete set of RV building riveting tools out on patrol. The inventory was documented in a quick picture of them on the bench. That reminds me that I should "check in" on how that project is going.

Last summer the airport I am building at had a small fly-in with about 25 planes on the ramp. As usual, I was in the hanger working on my RV-9A. A short time after everyone flew off the field, an airport car car came by with a couple strangers. They stopped and introduced themselves and explained that they had a plane on the ramp with a stuck valve, and one was an AP/AI who wanted to do the rope trick to try and get the guy home but had no tools with him. I showed him everything I had, he made a selection and before he left, he placed all the tools he borrowed on the floor and photographed them with his phone so he would be sure those he borrowed tools from would get them back. The rope trick worked and a couple hours after borrowing my tools, he had everything he borrowed from me back. The photos helped him make sure the rightful owners got the tools back he borrowed, and in the same condition as when he borrowed them. That being said, someone told me about 40 years ago the same thing Mel said in his post,,,,if you have to borrow something more than once, you need to buy it.

I like to lend tools to locals, especially if it's something I have that they will use once or twice and it's expensive. I have a Parker Roto-flare tool I've lent out dozens of times. As a tech counselor, I sometimes mention they should call me before they buy something like that to see if I still have mine. I do, however, keep a record and ask for it to be returned if it's been a while. When I was building my RV-6, I kept a record of tools I borrowed (or lent) in the front cover of my builder's log, and contacted the owner every once in a while to see if they needed it back. I remember one of my tasks after completion was to get the borrowed tools back to their owners, and that list was invaluable.

My experience with borrowed tools or other things like books is not really good. Many times I have to ask to get things back which is embarassing for me and often I have to go and get it. I would ecpect the borrower actively returns things. So I avoid to borrow things and there are very few people I trust and who take action returning things.
However I?m always happy to help and should I borrow things myself I always return them as soon as possible and hope I never forget a single item.

Interesting side note: One time a long time ago an acquaintance asked to borrow my impact wrench. I was not home and my Wife loaned him the tool. He brought it back with a broken housing. He stated that he thought that "vibration" had broken the tool. Now think about that for a minute. "Vibration" broke the housing of an impact tool? It had obviously been dropped.
NEVER, since that time, has my Wife loaned one of my tools without asking me first!
BTW, he never offered to replace or pay for the tool.

Yes, but selectively. Most who do have been burned at least once.

An example of just the opposite: I have a open utility trailer with a standing offer to friends and family to borrow it as needed. A GOOD friend asked to borrow it to haul some stuff to another state. No problem. He bought a spare tire for it, lock, tongue jack, painted it, and waxed(!) it:eek:, bought a tool box and added a jack, flashlight, bearing grease and gun, wrench for the wheels, some cargo straps...
I felt guilty for loaning it to him!

(oh, that reminds me, I noticed a rust spot last week. I hope he needs to borrow it soon....)

That reminds me... Joel you lent me that brake fluid reservoir a year ago that I have yet to replace.

My bad.

I have an A&P/IA in the hangar next to ours whose dad was an aircraft mechanic as well, So he has every tool known to aviation. Very nice guy willing to loan you anything. He has his initials engraved in all his tools. Works great when I need to borrow a platenut drill jig of an odd size I can tell when job is done which one in the pile I borrowed and which are my own. I do follow the process if I borrow it a couple times I go out and buy my own. The exception is he has some very large tools like 36” table shear and bandsaw, and part cleaner, and on and on. There I chipped in a good chunk of $$$ to help him buy a very big and heavy 48” sheet metal break. I figure that helps pay for some of my use of his other items.

I have a slightly different issue that so far not an issue. I co-own a hangar with another builder and antique aircraft restorer. He has a whole set of tools as do I. We have been in the hangar together for 18 years. We no longer remember whose tools are whose. Not issue now and really don’t care as we are good friends for 30 years. The issue may be when one calls it quits and wants/needs to sell their share of the hangar, then what?

Last edited:
I generally dont like to lend tools.

I have borrowed a longeron yoke and a few other things from a builder once. I gave everything back. I was really greatfull at the time but I have since purchased most of those tools anyway.

I currently have all of my tools at my buddies shop. We are currently purchasing new tools for him. I took the time to take a photo of everything I took over there and I will collect and inspect all of it when it is time to take them back. Hope it works out because I was/am really uneasy about all my tools.

I do borrow and I do lend. When I borrow , it burns a hole in me until I return the tool. I cannot see how someone can forget to return , but I have items missing not returned. I try to make a list with date borrowed now.
I also make the lender promise to let me know if there is something wrong with the tool that I'm not aware of and try to make them inspect the tool when I return it.

I lend tools to a very few select friends, they are expensive and my tools get used often enough that lending them can leave me without what I need.
I welcome folks to my shop to work on bits and pieces of their project. I get to share an experience and they get to, hopefully, learn something. My only rule is ? do not put my tools away, leave them on the bench?. My tool organization can only be described as disorganized, but it works for me. If someone puts my special, always on the bench hammer, in the hammer drawer, it might take me all day to find it. A lifetime of building has made me appreciate tools and I have a shop full of equipment.
Without tools I am just like everyone else.

I have a slightly different issue that so far not an issue. I co-own a hangar with another builder and antique aircraft restorer. He has a whole set of tools as do I. We have been in the hangar together for 18 years. We no longer remember whose tools are whose. Not issue now and really don?t care as we are good friends for 30 years. The issue may be when one calls it quits and wants/needs to sell their share of the hangar, then what?

Then the two of you decide how to divvy up the tools, and you remain good friends.

I will loan out tools to people I know well and am confident will return them. And my kids, who I know may or may not ever return them. Occasionally I'll find I am missing a tool and need it back, so it's time to call or email all of them and ask if someone has it. That usually gets it returned. When it doesn't, I remind myself that I'm sure my father had to re-buy numerous tools when I was in my teens and 20s.

I know I am not the best at remembering to return things to their rightful place in the toolbox, let alone their owner, so I try to only borrow things at the actual time of need and return them immediately afterward. If it's something I'm ever going to need again, or if I need it for more than a day or two, I'll go buy my own. Despite the offer to let me borrow it "any time", I don't like having to do so.

That reminds me, I need to go buy a compression tester and an oil filter cutter.

My very first tool was a set of Channel locks found in an intersection while riding my bike, I was 10 years old. My dad had a small assortment of tools but no channel locks. I etched my name on them, along with the date. I have loaned tools in the past but soon got wise and mounted a chalk board in the shop..... Now I get a 100% return rate.

BTW..... I still have, and use those channel locks.

Every once in a while you get a surprise when you loan tools. I loaned my instrument hole punch to a VAF guy in RI. I got it back rather quickly in a much larger box than I had sent it in. He had included some cans of his local lobster bisque & chowder. Can't beat the VAF brotherhood.
Allen
Very slow build 7A

Return gift

Every once in a while you get a surprise when you loan tools. I loaned my instrument hole punch to a VAF guy in RI. I got it back rather quickly in a much larger box than I had sent it in. He had included some cans of his local lobster bisque & chowder. Can't beat the VAF brotherhood.
Allen
Very slow build 7A

That's funny. I've experienced the same. I don't even remember what I loaned, but remember the builder and the gift. He knew I bake a lot and gave me a silicone baking mat. I bet I use it more than any other tool.

I'm happy to lend tools, especially to locals with whom I interact often (and who can help rivet those difficult spots)

I've had a few experiences borrowing/loaning tools from/to VAFers with excellent effect.

The first, I borrowed an aft wing spar drilling jig, with a fancy, modified vice-grip pilot jig, drills, and reamers to get that hole just right. Loaned for free, just pay for shipping. Received it, did it, returned it. Perfect! Thank You!

The second, I loaned out a DB-9 punch at the request of another VAFer; came back in a few weeks later in perfect condition -- with a Starbux card attached. Not needed, but thank you!

Tools are important and precious (and sometimes expensive). I'm very happy to loan out the goodies to folks I feel I can trust; all VAFers I'm met fit this criterion. Haven't been burned yet!

YMMV, but I've found our RV crowd to be very upstanding this way.

Also, I'm very happy to "donate" a wing stand, fuse rotisserie, etc. to an upcoming builder ... I'm done with it; it did its job perfectly; I'll never use it again. I'm very happy to pass it along, gratis! More RVs flying is better than less RVs flying, IMHO. (and, now, there's less stuff in my garage/hangar ;-)

Last edited:
Back