What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dipstick calibration

Firstlight

Hey Folks,

I'm a dipstick, since I don't know the right dimensions to use while calibrating fuel tank dipsticks.

Does anybody have a handy set of measurements and corresponding tank volumes for me? I have (and love) a short gear '4.

Thanks,

WBK

The best thing to do is completely drain your tanks and refill in the increments you desire. And as you go along, dip it and note the level on a dipstick. I used a regular dowel for mine and works great. To mark the level on the wooden dowel, I notched a ring around it in the wood and marked each mark for the corresponding gallon/level.

Universal

Hey Folks,

Does anybody have a handy set of measurements and corresponding tank volumes for me? I have (and love) a short gear '4.

Thanks,

WBK

I use a universal Fuelhawk like this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/fuelhawkuniv11.php?clickkey=4679

Make sure you always measure the same way. I use the corner formed by the structure near the filler. Adding 6 to the number on the stick is pretty close to actual gallons. i.e. it reads 10 when the tank is full.

Agree that calibrating your own is best practice. You may even find it different from one tank to the other like I did on my RV4. I purchased an inexpensive uncoated broom handle from Aviation Depot although a dowl rod will work as well then cut it long enough where it would be difficult to fall into the tank. One end was for the left tank and the other for the right. Filled the tank one gallon at a time and used a fine point Sharpie to mark the gallons. This makes it easy to read when dipping since you'll easily see the wet area up to the level line it's at then it evaporates off by the time you go to the other tank.

That is how I calibrated mine, but I also calibrated the fuel Gauges, by lifting the tail to flying attitude and registering what the gauges read.
With th Vans sender the gauges are pretty useless when the fuel level gets down. I still have quite a bit of fuel when the gauges read empty.

I used a couple wooden paint sticks. One for the right and one for the left, labeled accordingly with a black sharpie.

When I was doing the initial calibration of my tanks, I dipped the stick and marked it for each 2 gallon stage.

I am in phase 1 and use it before and after each flight to check my Skyview fuel data.

And as stated by others, each tank was slightly different.

Back