What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh En-Route EAA Food Stops

Capflyer

Well Known Member
Every year I tend to mix up my en-route stop to and from AirVenture. It's a pain to find a stop with a restaurant and every once in a while I land at an airport whose EAA chapter puts out a spread. I have not been able to find a source for this info so perhaps if you know of a chapter doing this, post it here.

KVPZ Porter County airport typically has a spread put on by the Porter County pilots association and the EAA. Really good people!

For anyone coming to Osh from a southwest direction, K81 (Miami County airport, Paola KS) just south of the Kansas City area has the "We B Smokin" BBQ restaurant on the field. They have an awsome breakfast menu in the mornings and BBQ from lunchtime onwards. Also a good fuel stop just before getting to Osh is C47 Portage WI. They usually have Wisconsin Brats cooking if you want to grab a bite to eat before heading to the Ripon/Fisk approach. If you draw a straight line from C47 to KOSH it will line you up perfectly to enter the approach along the south shoreline of Green Lake too.

K81

K81 current fuel price is $3.98. Been a long time but the barbeque was excellent. Portage is also an excellent stop, usually some hotel rooms available just before Oshkosh.

Places I found food on OSH trips

KFOD Fort Dodge Regional Airport, Fort Dodge, Iowa, USA - Found by chance. I was having plane trouble looked down to see big long and wide runways. Landed and was greeted by friendly EAA folks who had a spread. Basic dogs, chips and drink but a nice surprise.

KYKN Chan Gurney Municipal Airport, Yankton, South Dakota, USA - Stop here every year. The FBO changed hands a few years back I beleave but still a nice stop. Same basic spread with great folks, huge runway nice AC building. If WX turns bad you can camp in front of the building or sleep on the floor in the AC. They have great memories last year my wife walks in says a few words and 2 of them remembered her and that she is ATC at LAX. They has talked to her once 2 years prior. Any way they make you feel welcome. I do not think it is EAA folks.

KLXT Lee's Summit Municipal Airport, Lee's Summit, Missouri, USA - Stopped here a few times. Sometimes they had food sometimes not. Not sure if EAA folks.

Three places I found great folks and food. If they are on your way call up and see if they are putting out a spread again this year.

Enjoy your trip. Unfortunately I cannot make it this year :(

Back