What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Primer Solenoid Valve Location

647jc

Well Known Member
I'm looking for suggestions / pictures on where and how to mount the standard Vans / Aircraft Spruce fuel primer solenoid valve 05-29823.

No idea on location, but I applaud your correct spelling of solenoid. I think it was around 1975 the last time I saw a builder spell it right. :D

Here's where I put mine. This position allowed me to mount the bracket securely on the firewall stiffener. Also notice the lock-wire for just-in-case.

Vern Little
9A

119_1990_1.jpg

Fuel Primer Solenoid Mounting Location

I know it's been a while since this thread but I'm trying to determine a good location for the primer solenoid. I am thinking of mounting to some point on the engine and connect a flex fuel line from the firewall mounted gascolator. Then run the copper lines from the solenoid to the cylinders My thought process is to minimize vibration of the copper if it's run from a firewall mounted solenoid as has been recommended in the past. Since I don't have a vacuum pump installed, my thought was to fabricate a mounting bracket for the solenoid and attach it to the vacuum pump pad. If anyone out there has this or similar installation, I'd appreciate a few photos. Thanks in advance.

I understand you?re concern about vibration breaking primer lines, ( had one break on my Skyhawk that had no engine monitoring to alert me to a lean cylinder) when I installed mine I put it right next to the gascolater since there is only fuel flow in the lines when power is applied to open the Solenoid , I put a vibration loop in the copper line before T?ing off to # 1 & 2 Cylinders
In your scenario you?re putting pressurize fuel up to the engine in a expensive limited life fuel line unnecessarily , my 2 cents , cheers

Why copper ?

TS Flightlines will make a small flexible line that ?won?t break?. I machined a simple bracket for the solenoid to clamp to the mount close to #4 cylinder to keep the hose short. Fire sleeved fuel line from gascolator to solenoid should endure the application. None of my business, but is there a prefilter before the boost pump to protect it ?

Old post, but I'll throw in my 2c.

I used a SS braided line from firewall to a distribution block on the engine. From there it is copper to 3 cylinders.

FP20012013A00018.jpg

TS Flightlines will make a small flexible line that ?won?t break?. I machined a simple bracket for the solenoid to clamp to the mount close to #4 cylinder to keep the hose short. Fire sleeved fuel line from gascolator to solenoid should endure the application. None of my business, but is there a prefilter before the boost pump to protect it ?

yes to your question. Fuel from the Andair selector passes next thru a filter, then the boost pump, gascolator, engine driven fuel pump, red cube, then into the carb. The Andair gascolator has a port for the primer coming off of the top of it.

Old post, but I'll throw in my 2c.

I used a SS braided line from firewall to a distribution block on the engine. From there it is copper to 3 cylinders.

FP20012013A00018.jpg

thanks for the photo. I think I saw the same pic on Google. Q. Did you fabricate your own distribution block? I considered this approach also. thanks.

I understand you?re concern about vibration breaking primer lines, ( had one break on my Skyhawk that had no engine monitoring to alert me to a lean cylinder) when I installed mine I put it right next to the gascolater since there is only fuel flow in the lines when power is applied to open the Solenoid , I put a vibration loop in the copper line before T?ing off to # 1 & 2 Cylinders
In your scenario you?re putting pressurize fuel up to the engine in a expensive limited life fuel line unnecessarily , my 2 cents , cheers

Good point. I think as long as I use flexible fuel line from a firewall mounted solenoid to an engine-mounted distribution manifold (see other post) it should minimize my vibration induced cracking concern. Thanks!

We do a different approach. Yes teflon hose from the solenoid to a tee at the center sump under the mechanical pump. Depending on how many cylinders are being primed, each side of the tee routes a stainless rigid tube to the primer nozzles or in the case of a 3rd cylinder, to another tee then to each cylinder. Mimics the Lycoming primer diagram.
WE have done the cylinder lines in teflon hose, but it gets pricey because the -2 nozzle fittings are custom made. Looks cool though.

Tom

thanks for the photo. I think I saw the same pic on Google. Q. Did you fabricate your own distribution block? I considered this approach also. thanks.

I did. The fitting used for the copper line are machine thread, not taper thread. I tapped the block, but I also pro-sealed them in for insurance.

If I were to do it again, I would probably just prime one cylinder.

FP20012013A00016.jpg

FP20012013A00017.jpg

I ended up changing the routing a bit and added a second clamp, I don't think I have a good picture though.

If I were to do it again, I would probably just prime one cylinder.
That is what I was going to say, one jug is enough.

As far as no primer, that's an option. The punp throttle method is doable. HOWEVER don't over do it and WAIT.

• Pump throttle (accelerator pump blows raw fuel into carb throat)
  • Raw fuel will drip down into your air box, so wait and let it evaproate.
  • Optional pump while cranking.
  • Don't over prime, 1 or 2 max. A back fire might set your plane aflame.
  • Only needed when cold.

Down side of direct primer into jug it raw fuel removes oil film from cyclinder. With fuel pump on just a short hit of the prime button is needed.

Last edited:
Vans Primer position

I ran a short flex hose from Gascolator as per Vans plans.

I then installed a "T" and continued on to the engine pump with flex hose tested at 2500 PSI. All of which is protected from heat using fireflex.

To provide fuel to the solenoid simply attached it to the "T" and then ran primer 1/4" line with a vibration circle in it to the #1 and # 2 cyl.

In Canada it is good to have primer, although i would agree that you could use the pump in the MArvel Carb prior to a start. I did have a fire once with that method and it was easy to happen, this was in my C182.

Hope this helps sorry no pics, maybe later.

Dave C.

Back