What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standalone approach capability for Skyview/G3X?

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am just writing to see if anyone has heard any rumors around about newer versions of G3X?s and Skyviews being able to do approaches without the input of a separate NAV like a 650 etc. It?s seems to me this should have already been a capability these days. Am I missing something? I want to eventually re-do my panel but with the limited real estate on the 8 I would like to keep it to just one 10inch screen and not have to put in a NAV unit.

Thanks all!

Chuck

The G3X does not have a VOR/ILS receiver, the hardware is just not there so that will not happen unless they release a new unit.

On the RNAV/GPS front, I understand the GPS unit in the screens is WAAS but is not certified to the proper TSO for approaches. Same for the software/databases in the GDUs. I suspect the certification hurdles are pretty massive for that kind of thing and would not expect to see this built-in to the units.

As stated above, the expensive part is getting the TSO, or other FAA approval. GRT is currently building gps approach capability, complete with database, into their HX and HXr EFIS units, but carefully stating something like ‘At this time, the use of these are limited to practice approaches in VFR, or emergencies’. They’re clearly hoping the FAA will eventually allow these to be used under ifr without a TSO, similar to the way Dynon and Garmin mini-EFIS’s are being used on normally certified planes.

Edit: OTOH, if you meant VOR or ILS approaches, most EFIS boxes will couple to a remote-mounted nav box.

Last edited:
Back