What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antennas used with G3X?s

Looking for input from finished 14 builders that installed G3X?s, GTN, and Garmin?s various remote mounted radios etc.

What type antennas did you use? Why?
What locations did you use? Why?
Any specific tips for the install?
Have they worked as advertised?

Thanks,

From Aircraft Spruce:

Comm - 2 x 11-12700 RAMI AV-17 COM ANTENNA TSO
Xpdr - 1 x AV-22 RAMI AV-22 XPDR ANTENNA TSO

Locations per the plans, easy to install, look great, work great!

Last edited:
Alvin,
I have two Comant CI-122 for Radio on the belly. Noteworthy about these; they use four screw to attach and the screw holes match the rivet holes for the reinforced plate. These are the certified antenna and Vans has the non-certified antenna which uses two screws.

For transponder, I am using Comant CI-105, again a there non-certified version is on the market and multiple brands exist. I am using one for both ADSB and TXPDR, since garmin does not require additional antenna for ADSB.

For VOR, I have installed a Archer antenna in the right wing tip. This is a home built and it is rather easy to build with super performance.

Both GPS antennas (650 and G3X) are installed in the wing tip as well. Of note, the BNC connector for 650 is a different type (screw in, rather push and twist) and I can remember part number now.

You can also install a marker beacon if you wish, few people now days install those.

Hope this is of any help.

G3X T antennas

Hi,

COM : 2 RAMI AV17 per the plan under the seats.
XPDR : Comant Ci 105 rear belly (per the plan).
ADS-B in : RAMI AV74 mid belly.
GPS GTN : Garmin GA35 on the roof behind the rear window.
GPS G5 + GDU460#2 : 2 Garmin GA26C under the upper cowl.
VOR : Archer in the wing tip right.

All work nice !

Back