What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutplate attach sequence 12-12

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Aloha All

Scratching my head on why we wait for attaching the nut-plates on the empennage till page 12-12. It seems like it would be easier to do it earlier in the build while attaching the sheet metal. Do the nut-plates interfere with blind drilling? I would think they would give a smaller more accurate hole when back-lighting.

Thanks

I guess I need to ask which nut plates you are referring to?

If these are the ones that are used for the empennage fairing, having them installed will make the match drilling more difficult especially if your fairing is gel coated and you will need to use other methods for locating them other than shining a light thru.

There are a number of steps in the build that the plan has you to skip or postpone till later. Many times I did not immediately find a reason for it but each time after some careful thinking, I noticed that it was a wise advise.

Hope this helps in your build.

sorry I was talking about empennage fairing attachment nut-plates. Especially the ones on the AFT FUSE ASSEMBLY F1475 and F1474.

Back