What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid J-Channels

caapt

Well Known Member
Just ordered my 3rd set of J channels for the wing. First mistake is well documented here. drilled the hole next to the nut plate holes. Today, working on the bottom wing skin, I realized there are no nut plate holes on the J-channels. The "time saver" of using the spar flange as a drill guide hasn't saved me any.
Any ideas what I can do with these scrap J-Channels?

On my 7 there were numerous places such as stiffening the arm rests and oil cooler mount plus others. These may not apply to the 14.

Just ordered my 3rd set of J channels for the wing. First mistake is well documented here. drilled the hole next to the nut plate holes. Today, working on the bottom wing skin, I realized there are no nut plate holes on the J-channels. The "time saver" of using the spar flange as a drill guide hasn't saved me any.
Any ideas what I can do with these scrap J-Channels?

I actually need to order spare jchannel because I used the smaller piece when I should have cut the larger piece for the top skins (documented issue). What condition and length are your spare pieces in?

They are cut to the right length. But I drilled nut plate holes in them. Unusable in the wing.

So Far I have not found uses for flubbed J channels. But They are in my "scrap" bin just in case.

Back