What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition - key switch or toggle switches?

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am considering what type of ingnition switch to install on my RV8A. Some people seem to prefer the key switch, and others prefer having two seperate toggle switches for the magnetors (EI) and a starter switch.

I spoke with a builder yestarday at the Leward Ranch RV Fly in who said that if he were to do it over again, he would have installed toggle switches instead of the key switch that he now has. He idicated a lack of reliablity of the key switch as a primary reason, and said that some of them have failed and have AD's.

I like the key switch because you can lock it, and because most of the airplanes I have flown have used it, therefore I am used to it.

I read in Electric Bobs book that a key switch cannot be used with one mag and an EI, although I think that may be old and no longer current information. I seem to recall reading that at least one of the EI's can use a key switch.

Your comments, opinions and observations would be appreciated.

Tony Johnson
RV8A Orlando
N12TJ reserved

I'd say go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. I went with toggle switches in my RV-4 and wired them via Electric Bob's suggestions. I only have the two mag switches and no starter button. I figure that's going to give any would-be airplane thief at least a minute or two to figure out. Made for some really easy wiring and ability to go with electronic ignition one day. (Though with the E/P-Mag, who needs electronic iginition?)

I don't have a lock on my airplane either. I figure if they want to steal my radios, go ahead, just don't break my canopy!!

I have exactly the same set up as Scott. Including the no-lock philosophy.

In hindsight, though, I think I would use 2 toggles AND a starter push button. I am a LITTLE concerned that I may not remember to turn off the Right (non-impulse coupler) mag in an in-flight restart situation.

Ben Beaird
-6A Flying

Ben:

I am not totally certain, but I think if you have your right mag toggle on, the starter will not engage on the left mag. That is if you have it wired ala Electric Bob. It is sort of failsafe feature.

BTW...I have just two toggles for mags/starter via Bob's Z11 drawing. Nice and simple. As to a lock, Van's has a little lock that slides onto the rear slider rail (the one on the top of the fuse) that will lock things up for you. Its a new item they added to the catalog. Not sure if they have anything for a tipup, but looks like it will work great for the few times I park away from the hangar in my slider 6A.

Regards,

keyed ignition for EI/mag

I have LSE Plasma II+ and one mag, along with the keyed ignition. Diagrams came with the LSE, simple to follow. Works great, no problems at 185 hrs.
Mark Andrews N598X

painless said:
Ben:

I am not totally certain, but I think if you have your right mag toggle on, the starter will not engage on the left mag. That is if you have it wired ala Electric Bob. It is sort of failsafe feature.

BTW...I have just two toggles for mags/starter via Bob's Z11 drawing. Nice and simple. As to a lock, Van's has a little lock that slides onto the rear slider rail (the one on the top of the fuse) that will lock things up for you. Its a new item they added to the catalog. Not sure if they have anything for a tipup, but looks like it will work great for the few times I park away from the hangar in my slider 6A.

Regards,

Jeff,

You are correct re starter not engaging if right mag is on. That is my worry (although I don't lose any sleep over it). If, while flying, the engine quits, I'll have to remember to turn the right mag off in order to re-start the engine. I hope I'm not too rattled to do that.

Ben Beaird
Plymouth, WI
-6A

Ben:

Ok...now I see your concern. I suppose that once you toggle the start switch and nothing happens it will remind you real quick! ;)

I guess it will just have to be one of those things we run through and practice for in the event of an engine out situation. Just add it to the checklist, and pratice, practice, practice.

Regards,

We too have and mag + EI (Jeff Rose, ElectroAir) with the keyed ignition.

It works just fine. Diagram also supplied by Jeff.

James

redbeardmark said:
I have LSE Plasma II+ and one mag, along with the keyed ignition. Diagrams came with the LSE, simple to follow. Works great, no problems at 185 hrs.
Mark Andrews N598X

painless said:
Ben:

Ok...now I see your concern. I suppose that once you toggle the start switch and nothing happens it will remind you real quick! ;)

I guess it will just have to be one of those things we run through and practice for in the event of an engine out situation. Just add it to the checklist, and pratice, practice, practice.

Regards,

Yeah, I think the whole sequence of:
ENGINE QUIT
LEFT MAG FORWARD TO RESTART
NO START
CALL SELF IDIOT - SLAPPING FOREHEAD IS OPTIONAL
RIGHT MAG SWITCH OFF
LEFT MAG FORWARD TO RESTART
ENGINE START - RIGHT MAG ON

Would in reality probably take all of 2 to 3 seconds. :)

Back