What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Light Covers

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hi all, I'm getting ready to cut the clear covers for my wing tip lights. As you know both left and right are one piece that needs to be separated. I can't find in my information where/how it says to do this. If I recall correctly, you first cut them directly in half following the little pimples in the middle, then fit as required.

Can someone please point me to the discussion/illustration of this in the manual?

Thanks

I cut them in half with good old metal shears. Once you have them in two pieces, just tape them over the wingtips, mark them with a sharpie or tape, and trim to fit. Sand the edges down to final size, and drill the mounting screws.
Don't overthink it. Like most of the tasks, it is easier than you think.

IMG_1857-M.jpg

IMG_1858-M.jpg

IMG_1859-M.jpg

Two screws is sufficient to hold these in place. 600+ hours and they haven't come off yet! :D

What Bruce said...

Bruce offers good advice which I followed when I first did mine, and you'll likely be able to find more information online with a bit of searching... Set the lens in place, observe the orientation in the profile view to match the radius of the lens to the wing tip, mark with tape, and carefully cut to shape. You might want to sneak up on the final cut so you don't take off too much. I used the Aeroled AeroSun lights which required the modification to the wingtip, and the fit of the lens was less than stellar. After the lens was trimmed as close as I could get it I coated both sides of the lens with PVA mold release, buttered up the mating surfaces of the wingtip (the surface the lens sits upon) with an epoxy/micro mix, and clecoed in place. After that set up I did the same to fair out the outside surfaces of the wing tip to bring it level with the lens.

20170523_203558-M.jpg

20170609_164119-M.jpg

20170609_164128-M.jpg

20170614_192211-M.jpg

20170616_194540-M.jpg

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Thanks Jay, Bruce and Chris - great help... I probably was over thinking this, but good to have confirmation of how I remembered it.

Thanks everyone

That worked out nicely. Made rough cut with a Dremel the sanded to final dimension. Used a scraper to finish edge.

756BBD33-AAE3-4743-9BF4-BC8686298136_zpsjhg0axus.jpg

Back