What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which boost pump?

papamike

Well Known Member
I will be ordering an IO-360 from AeroSport shortly with the Precision system on it. Looking to buy the boost pump. Does it matter which pump I buy? I've been looking at the EFii for it's compactness. But it seems like a lot of people have gone with the Airflow Performance from Van's.

Thanks

Mechanical fuel injection runs on lower pressures than electronic fuel injection systems. the Airflow Performance pump system from Vans, Andair fuel pump and similar pumps are designed for this. These pumps operate as redundant to the mechanical pump on the engine.

Electronic fuel injection pump systems are designed for different needs. EFI must have redundancy in 2 electric pumps as the engine mechanical pump is not used.
EFI pumps are operating at much higher pressures. They are also designed for full flow fuel systems- what fuel not used is recirculated back to the tanks.

We've been using the EFII pump package on our RV-3 (with Bendix-style Fuel Injection) for about six years and over 650 hours now - works great, nicely designed, good package.

We have the AirFlow Performance package on our Tundra - about two years and 160 hours, no issues at all - it works great as well.

So either one gets the job done - take a look at how each fits in your airframe and make your decision based on that.

Paul

Ah. Checked their site and their boost pump is different than what I was thinking and looks like it is intended for the mechanical injection installations.

A few years ago I purchased a dual electric fuel pump unit from them, meant for an efi installation, different product for a different purpose for sure.

I'm running the Andair pump on my YIO-360-M1B with Avstar FI. Installation is simple from the plumbing standpoint with no return lines required. Pump is located per Andair dwgs. and has integrated 10 micron filter. Pump is a little pricey, and access to the filter is a little awkward, but all in all it is a straightforward simple installation.

Replacement filters?

Perhaps the availability of replacement fuel filters should be a factor in the selection of a fuel pump. I know filters are available from the same source as the pump, but does anyone have a local automotive source of filters (specifically for the EFII)?

SERVICE??

U may want to consider the turn around time if/when u have a problem with your pump. Robert at EFII is very responsive to any problems with his pumps. have seen many posts where this can't be said for Andair.

If you want a brand new fuel pump there appears to be several options... all of which have a good service history.

Weldon - $1100 (est)
Andair - $763
EFII - $649
Airflow Performance - $390

All of these options should work. Do any of the above designs have a distinct advantage over the other designs (other than price)?

Back