- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slngsht View Post
Your engine has no mechanical fuel pump?
That's a scary thought... a guy here has an -8 and had an internal voltage regulator failure..the voltage spiked to something silly like 30 volts ( I forget what the actual number was), but the battery cut itself off and saved itself. Perhaps a backup lead acid battery could save the day, but then where did all the weight savings go?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
I installed a 20 AH back up battery, if I get a primary EarthX battery problem or alternator problem, I shut down the field, then Aux battery On and then master Off. This gives me theoretically 2 hours to run the EFII system but I will land within 30 min and the Dynon backup batteries should keep the EFIS running for 45 min.
Brett
Any chance you have a wiring diagram of the integration of the backup battery? If so could you email it to me at gaw dot ebm At gmail dot com?

Tia
Gary
Old 12-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
That's the one thing that bothers me about the EarthX - it does have the capability of removing itself from the circuit and to cease providing electrons. With an electrically dependent engine, that is a scary thought. If the battery goes away, will the alternator continue to work? Don't know.

Ed Holyoke
Dear Ed,

For clarification, the EarthX battery does NOT remove itself from the circuit for an overcharge situation but continues to provide current while blocking excess current to the battery. This is detailed in the manual on how this works.

For a situation where the alternator is not working/charging, a voltage gauge would alert you that there is no voltage or very low voltage so the pilot is alerted that the charging system is not working properly and that they should consider themselves on battery power only and plan accordingly. For example, while in flight, you should see a MINIMUM voltage of 13.9V. If you are seeing less than that, then something is going on that needs attention, especially in an electronically dependent aircraft. The EarthX battery will remove itself from the circuit when the battery has been drained to around 98% but this is not a surprise event as the pilot would have knows long before this time that the battery is being actively drained and will eventually be out of energy, the same as a lead acid battery and not only would they have a low voltage warning but also the LED fault light would be activated.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Kathy
Old 12-11-2017, 10:55 PM

Default Shutdown warning?

Howdy Kathy,

I've got the overvoltage protection built in to my BandC regulator, so I'm not worried on that point. What I'd like to know is how much (if any) warning would I get before the battery drops out during an alternator out discharge event. I will get a flashing light from the regulator when the alternator goes offline and will shed amps and will have an estimated time remaining, but have no idea how the EarthX behaves right before it quits. Of course, I wouldn't want to run it down until it does quit, but in the unlikely event that I have no choice but to maximize its runtime....

I know how a lead acid battery acts. The voltage gradually falls off and then falls off more rapidly and the end is near. Is there any such telltale for the EarthX? What will the fault light be doing and how near the time it shuts down?

I'm currently carrying 2 PC680s to make sure my dual EIs and EFIS stay alive post alternator failure. I'm counting on a certain runtime on the first one and then similar time on the one I've held in reserve. When my 680s test below 80% capacity, I would consider replacing one or both with EarthX if I can get comfortable with how they work. I could sure use the weight savings.

Ed
Electrically dependent in smokey SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthX Lithium View Post
Dear Ed,

For clarification, the EarthX battery does NOT remove itself from the circuit for an overcharge situation but continues to provide current while blocking excess current to the battery. This is detailed in the manual on how this works.

For a situation where the alternator is not working/charging, a voltage gauge would alert you that there is no voltage or very low voltage so the pilot is alerted that the charging system is not working properly and that they should consider themselves on battery power only and plan accordingly. For example, while in flight, you should see a MINIMUM voltage of 13.9V. If you are seeing less than that, then something is going on that needs attention, especially in an electronically dependent aircraft. The EarthX battery will remove itself from the circuit when the battery has been drained to around 98% but this is not a surprise event as the pilot would have knows long before this time that the battery is being actively drained and will eventually be out of energy, the same as a lead acid battery and not only would they have a low voltage warning but also the LED fault light would be activated.

Hope that helps clarify things.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
Howdy Kathy,

I've got the overvoltage protection built in to my BandC regulator, so I'm not worried on that point. What I'd like to know is how much (if any) warning would I get before the battery drops out during an alternator out discharge event. I will get a flashing light from the regulator when the alternator goes offline and will shed amps and will have an estimated time remaining, but have no idea how the EarthX behaves right before it quits. Of course, I wouldn't want to run it down until it does quit, but in the unlikely event that I have no choice but to maximize its runtime....

I know how a lead acid battery acts. The voltage gradually falls off and then falls off more rapidly and the end is near. Is there any such telltale for the EarthX? What will the fault light be doing and how near the time it shuts down?

I'm currently carrying 2 PC680s to make sure my dual EIs and EFIS stay alive post alternator failure. I'm counting on a certain runtime on the first one and then similar time on the one I've held in reserve. When my 680s test below 80% capacity, I would consider replacing one or both with EarthX if I can get comfortable with how they work. I could sure use the weight savings.

Ed
Electrically dependent in smokey SoCal
Howdy Ed,

I am copying from the manual below:

The table below shows the recommended user alerts based on voltages when in flight. The low charge level is very different from a lead acid battery, for a lithium battery is completely drained at approximately 11.5V.

Voltage User Alert
>15V High voltage warning (red indicator)
<13.5V Alternator off-line alert (yellow indicator)
<12.6V Low charge level warning (red indicator)

Depending on the battery you choose, as an example the ETX680's have 12.4Ah of capacity (energy) before the battery is drained when new, and as all batteries loose capacity over time, this will decrease and you will test it the same as you would a lead acid battery. If you are using 6Ah of capacity to fly without an alternator working, you would have about 2 hours before the battery is drained. Or if you were using 12Ah of energy you would have about an hour. Please check out our manual as there is 27 pages designed to address these questions and we also have discharge charts too as they are important questions. (www.earthxbatteries.com)

Kathy
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

Thanks, Kathy

Ed