What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crankshaft flange paint/protection

filiperosa

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am overhauling my IO-320. The crankshaft come ready to mount. However the flange area was with an old yellow paint. Which paint or protection system should I use to cover the end part and flange of the crankshaft? Would zinc protection be ok?

Thanks a lot,
Filipe

Many shops will cadmium plate the flange during recertification. Some sort of corrosion protection is a good idea, possibly a dusting of a good primer. Avoid applying a thick coat of anything that will compromise the mating/torquing of the prop. If you have a hollow crank be sure the inside has been treated with epoxy corrosion protection per Lycoming SB 505.

ANY paint/ coating is not a good idea. Results will be similar to sealants on a cylinder flange. Don?t do it!

Many shops will cadmium plate the flange during recertification. Some sort of corrosion protection is a good idea, possibly a dusting of a good primer. Avoid applying a thick coat of anything that will compromise the mating/torquing of the prop. If you have a hollow crank be sure the inside has been treated with epoxy corrosion protection per Lycoming SB 505.

The shops do cadmium plating because that is what the overhaul manual calls for...:)

oea.jpg

There is potential for a lot of load in that area.

The shops do cadmium plating because that is what the overhaul manual calls for...:)

oea.jpg

There is potential for a lot of load in that area.

True, however, my main problem is that I am from Portugal and Cadmium plating is forbidden over here. Was trying to look for a good alternative.

Thank you,
Filipe

Back