What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flightaware UAT Tracking Coverage?

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this - but I appears that Flightaware tracking coverage for 978Mhz UAT equipped aircraft is a bit spotty? We had several RV's fly the same trip yesterday. The 1090ES equipped planes had complete tracking data on Flightaware. The UAT equipped plane had nothing. This same plane does typically get tracking around the local area. He also pulled an FAA performance report for this same flight and it came back good. Trying to figure out why.

I have exactly the same issue. Frequently get tracked, albeit spotty, around here in central FL, but this weekend flew to North Georgia and back at 10000' and didn't show up at all except a brief segment where I had been in contact with AHN tower.

Chris

This flight was from Huntsville, AL (3m5) to Wetumpka, AL (08A) to Winchester, TN (KBGF). My UAT buddy didn't get so much as a single tracking point whereas I had full tracking with my Dynon 1090ES. We were within a mile or so of each other at all times so . . . . . . .

There doesn't seem to be any information on Flightaware's site that indicates which receiver locations are dual frequency.

I was looking into this and I am not sure that FlightAware directly supports the 978 UAT feeds from volunteer feeder sites yet. It looks like they are getting most of the 978 data they are showing from FAA radar sources and that is sort of limited.

There are some advanced feeder sites that are managing to pump the 978 decode into the feed but I would say that the number of them doing so is small. I have not added 978 to my feeder site yet.

Back