What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Servo Linkage Blocking Sump Port

f14av8r

Well Known Member
Please see the attached photo. This is a Superior Sump on an IO-360. The Fuel Servo linkage bracket is blocking the sump port that I'd like to use to return oil from the canister on my inverted system. I'm currently using one of the bottom ports but that's not optimal.

Any ideas on how to modify this bracket to allow access to the port and installation of a 90 degree fitting which will face horizontally towards the center of the engine - (fitting would be pointing to the left in the photo when installed).

Thanks!
Randy

IMG_1264%20%281%29-L.jpg

Randy---I see alot of work ahead to make use of that port. Bracket mods, hose mods, and other things I can t think of. If there not another port for your purpose?
Tom

Bracket Options

Thanks for the reply Tom. I highly value your opinion. BTW, on this install, I firesleeved ALL the lines based on your critique of my install on my last install.

To answer your question, yes I'm already using a different port. But, it's the bottom port on the sump and that doesn't allow the return oil to drain back to the sump as well as that upper forward port does. I suspect that is because the Raven Fitting standpipe still sits below the level of the oil in the sump. So, the canister doesn't empty as quickly and, when I string together a couple of inverted figures, I get some oil on the belly. That's the problem I'm trying to solve. Rob, at Raven, says the front port works much better. And, based on my experience on the previous airplane where we used the forward port, the canister did perform better.

Frankly, it just kinda irks me that anybody designed a bracket that closes off a sump port. I'm no engineer but I think I could design a bracket that left that port accessible! I'm thinking of modifying the top piece to bend over the fitting and using additional spacers to move the bottom fitting down. I don't think I'll have any issue with hoses as I won't have to change the fuel supply line and I know I can route the oil canister return line across the front of the engine. I also don't think I'll have to modify the linkage geometry much if at all. Again, it may all be too much work for little gain. I've only got a few hours on the inverted system and am still experimenting. Right now, I've dropped the oil level to 5 quarts and will see what, if any effect that has. Thanks again for your help!
Randy

Back