What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To reservoir or not to reservoir...

xblueh2o

Well Known Member
That is the question.

Actually, to remote reservoir or mount them on the master cylinders, that is the question.

I am up to this stage and looking at all options. I spent yesterday staring at the plans and my fuselage while mentally designing a system. Came home and did some searching and reading of various build sites and noted as usual there are a million ways to do this. Once you put the system in you have to live with it and I couldn't find much info on in service reports so that leaves me wondering....

If you you mounted twin reservoirs directly on the master cylinders, what was your decision tree that drove that choice, how has it worked out for you, if you had to do it over what would you change and most importantly can you get full rudder deflection with the flight adjustable pedals full forward?

If you went with a remote reservoir, where is it, what kind of lines are you using for the low pressure feed lines, is it working and again if you had to do it over what would you change?

Stock Brake Reservoir

That is the question.

Actually, to remote reservoir or mount them on the master cylinders, that is the question.

I am up to this stage and looking at all options. I spent yesterday staring at the plans and my fuselage while mentally designing a system. Came home and did some searching and reading of various build sites and noted as usual there are a million ways to do this. Once you put the system in you have to live with it and I couldn't find much info on in service reports so that leaves me wondering....

If you you mounted twin reservoirs directly on the master cylinders, what was your decision tree that drove that choice, how has it worked out for you, if you had to do it over what would you change and most importantly can you get full rudder deflection with the flight adjustable pedals full forward?

If you went with a remote reservoir, where is it, what kind of lines are you using for the low pressure feed lines, is it working and again if you had to do it over what would you change?

I stuck with the plans on the brake reservoir and pedal plumbing. In 527 hours, I have no regrets. The setup works great and it has not leaked a drop. Cylinder mounted reservoirs were probably not an option for me anyway, because I'm 6'3" and use the pedals in the furthest forward position where cylinder mounted reservoirs would probably hit the firewall at full rudder deflection. In addition, with the stock firewall mounted reservoir, it's easy to check the brake fluid level during an oil change or anytime the upper cowl is off.

Skylor
RV-8

Regular readers know fire-hardening was of interest to me. In that context, an aluminum container of fluid with a low flash point, located at a hole in the firewall and tapped with a plastic fitting, then plumbed with plastic lines along the backside of a hot firewall...well, all that had to go.

Reservoir is relocated to the right rear corner of the baggage compartment, out of the way, but very easy to service.

Aluminum line runs to splitter, then forward to master cylinders with braided line.

The master cylinders in my Cessna have integral reservoirs and I check them at least every annual. Even with easily-removed seats and big doors on both sides, its a real PITA.

My RV-3B will have a remote reservoir.

Dave

I've gone both ways. On the pedals is a PITA to check and you'll dribble sooner or later. The reservoir can go anywhere above the cylinder. I use steel braided lines, two of which aren't needed with the pedal reservoirs. Routing the pressure lines around the reservoir blob immediately above the outlet can get tricky, and there's obviously less room for your 16E boots.

John Siebold

I hate pedal mounted reservoirs :eek:

I am in the same boat of disliking pedal mounted reservoirs. When bleeding the brakes, you now have TWO containers to catch the excess fluid from, two points of possible mess from overflow and during maintenance, there are now two items that need their level checked or possible addition of fluid.

Mine are similar to Dan's for the same reasons... 150 hrs, easy to service, no spillage.

Wow - such "hatred" of pedal-mounted reservoirs. OK - I'll take the opposite track. Simple, light, half the fluid liens runnign through the cockpit. I pump a little fluid into the brakes from the bottom at annual time if I need to, and the reservoirs have the little sintered bronze caps, so they breath. Have them on all three RV's no hassle, no trouble, no leaks.

I won't tell others what to do, but hey, mine have worked great for years.

Paul

Wow - such "hatred" of pedal-mounted reservoirs. OK - I'll take the opposite track. Simple, light, half the fluid liens runnign through the cockpit. I pump a little fluid into the brakes from the bottom at annual time if I need to, and the reservoirs have the little sintered bronze caps, so they breath. Have them on all three RV's no hassle, no trouble, no leaks.

I won't tell others what to do, but hey, mine have worked great for years.

Paul

AH HA! - you solved the servicing issue, that certainly should lower the barriers.

Back