What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab Hinge

TThurston

Well Known Member
I've just performed a trial fit of my trim tab after drilling the hinge (both to the trim tab and to the elevator), and find that the trailing edge of the trim tab extends about 1/16" past the trailing edge of the elevator. I've not yet riveted either side of the hinge.

The trailing edge of the trim tab is supposed to be aligned to the trailing edge of the elevator. It seems I have at least two options:

1. Leave it as is. What's 1/16" of an inch anyway?

2. Order a new hinge, and drill each side about 1/32" farther so that the tab will align exactly to the trailing edge of the elevator.

Suggestions?

A related question: It seems to me that I should not prime the hinge with my rattle can primer -- too likely to get gunk in the hinge. No primer on the hinge, right?

Just depends how even you want the trailing edge to look. I remember always wanting to finish parts ASAP early in the build. Looking back, though, you may wish you'd been patient for a week so that the new $2.00 piece of hinge could arrive.

Re: priming. Doesn't really matter either. The hinge pin will clean out the eyelets soon enough. However, given that the hinge is easily replaced in the unlikely event you ever found corrosion later, I would just use the hinge as is.

Good luck as you move forward.

without a doubt ....

Take Option #1 and build on. Mine looks the same as yours ... and that's the least of my worries. :D

Back