What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting the parting line in the lower gear leg fairing

LarryT

Well Known Member
I have bonded, filled and sanded the lower intersection fairings to the wheel pants. Using a black lacquer check coat was helpful to me since I am an amateur at body finishing work.

For those of you who have gone before... how and where did you cut the lower intersection fairing to restore the finished wheel pant to a two pieces?

If possible, photos would be helpful - especially details of connecting tabs from the rear portion underneath the front portion.

Thanks,

Larry Tompkins
544WB RV-6A
W52 Battle Ground, WA

Larry I sort of "S" curved mine from the wheel pant parting line up to the "center" of the gear leg fairing. It came out just fine.

I put a joggle strip in the rear section so that the front half closes on the rear like a shingle to stay closed in the airstream. This can easily be done by laying a few layers of glass over the joint on the inside after putting some release agent (packing tape is a good solution ) on the front half of the fairing. Once the glass sets, split the fairings, remove the tape and voila - you have a joggled tab.

There have been threads showing this in the past. Good luck.

Back