What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Tip-Up Panel CAD?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Does anyone have a cad file of the panel with an additional 2-3 inches added to the bottom? And possibly cutouts that can be bent around the bow instead of adding an angle bracket. (I have seen these done on other model panels and it would be great if I could do it on my 6)

Last edited:
Vans has all of the panels on their website: http://vansaircraft.com/public/downloads.htm

I have a solidworks file of the -6 panel that I added one or two inches to, but I forget which. If you compare it to the plans you should be able to figure out which it is. PM me your email address and I can send it your way.

The RV-6 wasn?t prepunched, so they are all a little different. Van?s doesn?t have a CAD file for them. There are a couple of ways to reproduce.

The RV-6 wasn?t prepunched, so they are all a little different. Van?s doesn?t have a CAD file for them.

Van's does have a CAD file for them. They have a 2-D file. That's what I used to make my 3-D one. It matches measurements taken from the panel in my -6, so I have to expect that it's "close enough for practical purposes."

You can use the old one as a template to match drill the mounting holes so it lines up with your existing substructure.

Up North

Alternately, you could probably contact Bill at Up North Aviation (upnorthaviation.com) and have him cut a new panel to your specifications.

CAD Accuracy

Be cautious following the top curve on any CAD panel for the -6 models. This is the drawing a lot of them were made to, and the accuracy varied from builder to builder. :)

o7K.jpg

You would be better getting a panel water-jet cut from a data base that is slightly over size on the top edge and undersized on the notches and then trimming using the old panel as a template.

Back