What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odd POTUS TFR on Dynon Skyview

spatsch

Well Known Member
As I was flying today the POTUS TFR looked quite odd. Here a picture of when I was heading back into it:

ODDTFR.jpg

See the triangle in the middle which is not colored red. Looked like that all day long. It's clearly wrong as the TFR was it's usual 30 mile circle. Wonder if that is a Dynon or ADS-B issue. Either way I guess it can not be trusted... .

Oliver

You were flying lucky you. My airport NOTAMed closed for 4 days. :(

And I thought your Russian connections would help :)

More seriously this is going to be painful the next couple of years. From what I hear he will be here all summer. This shuts down 2 airports completely as well as one of the larger glider clubs which has been operating since 1929 on the weekend.... . My J3 is NORAD so that one is grounded and my APA is closed too when I need it... . Guess nobody cares... .

Oliver

I feel for you guys, but glad this president lived somewhere other than Chicago. I was getting sick of the POTUS TFRs. In case you don't know this, there are usually an inner ring and outer ring. In the outer ring, you can typically depart or arrive your airport as long as you have an assigned sqwack code and are talking to ATC. I would phonel the local ATC facility to get a code on the ground and just call up approach on arrival before entering the TFR; They are familiar with the drill. There are some other limits, such as no training and ingress/egress only through the TFR, but this worked for me several times. If I remember correctly, you need a flight plan filed, but VFR is acceptable. The text of the TFRs on the FAA website have all of the details.

Larry

Last edited:
I feel for you guys, but glad this president lived somewhere other than Chicago. I was getting sick of the POTUS TFRs. In case you don't know this, there are usually an inner ring and outer ring. In the outer ring, you can typically depart or arrive your airport as long as you have an assigned sqwack code and are talking to ATC. I would phonel the local ATC facility to get a code on the ground and just call up approach on arrival before entering the TFR; They are familiar with the drill. There are some other limits, such as no training and ingress/egress only through the TFR, but this worked for me several times. If I remember correctly, you need a flight plan filed, but VFR is acceptable. The text of the TFRs on the FAA website have all of the details.

Larry

Yes that's what I did Sunday with my RV-8 and got the odd Dynon display. Unfortunately Vlad is in the inner ring and NORAD, glider and acrobatics are all prohibited in both rings... .

Oliver

And I thought your Russian connections would help :)

More seriously this is going to be painful the next couple of years. From what I hear he will be here all summer. This shuts down 2 airports completely as well as one of the larger glider clubs which has been operating since 1929 on the weekend.... . My J3 is NORAD so that one is grounded and my APA is closed too when I need it... . Guess nobody cares... .

Oliver

You'll b fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Oliver,
If you have a datalog for that flight (a "Dynon Diagnostic Log") we can look at it and see if the FAA sent something odd or if we interpreted it incorrectly.

The data would be in there as long as you haven't flown more than an hour since you last saw this.

Oliver,
If you have a datalog for that flight (a "Dynon Diagnostic Log") we can look at it and see if the FAA sent something odd or if we interpreted it incorrectly.

The data would be in there as long as you haven't flown more than an hour since you last saw this.

Should still be on my airplane. Will download it over the weekend and send it to you.

Oliver

Oliver,

I uploaded the trace a while back and haven't heard anything since and today I noticed that the upcoming TFRs (shutting down the long weekend...) are not shown correctly again. Any update on what's going on?

Thx

Oliver

We have been looking at the data logs this week, and it does appear SkyView interprets this TFR differently than other devices, so there is likely some issue inside the software. We're looking into it. Likely something odd about the order of the points sent in this TFR and how we draw between them.

Back