What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adhesive removal ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
:confused:I used clear packing tape as a release agent for epoxy/glass layup on the canopy skirt. The tape left an adhesive film on the aluminum fuse skin. Lacquer thinner slowly removes it but a micro film is sure to persist. I am concerned that scotchbrite scouring will still leave a film that will compromise primer bond. Any advice is appreciated.

High Larry-

On aluminum or steel parts, I used "goo gone". Then follow up with alcohol, acetone or mineral spirits to remove the "goo gone" oily residue. Should be fine on the skirt as long as you follow up well with acetone. Works like a charm. DO NOT get it on the canopy.

Eraser wheel

I removed the flap tape Van's sold me when I built the plane a couple years ago. It turned yellow and separated. Really a mess. Replaced it with PPF tape from 3M. Getting the adhesive off was a real job. I used an eraser wheel in my air drill I purchased from NAPA for $15.00. Worked like a charm and did not mar the paint underneath. I learned about it from this site. Best of luck, Bill RV-8a Bluebird

I i like to start with petroleum solvents - lighter fluid (naphtha) and mineral spirits. Then move to alcohols, isopropyl, ethanol. The harsh volatiles come last - Lacquer, MEK, Acetone, xylene.

It is amazing what naphtha will do.

Happy dissolving.

Back