What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Little helpers...

N517TB

For those of you who had children while you were building, I'm curious how much they were able (or willing) to help? How old? What tasks?

I ask because I just finished rebuilding a motorcycle and much of that time I had the respirator on because of the fumes or particulates, and therefore my 7-year old wasn't able to help much at all. However, I'm really considering starting a RV-10 this summer/fall and figure that drilling, deburing, and riviting isn't nearly as hazardous to our lungs. It would be really cool if he would/could help, but I wonder if I have unrealistic expectations. Sure, each kid is different, but in many ways they are very similar. I'd just like to hear from you all on how it really is.

Thanks for reading.

-Jim
RV-10 lurker

Hey Jim,

I have two sons that are 9 and 11. They have been pretty helpful in building my empennage. My rule is that they do nothing to the plane while I am not there. Before I let them do actual work on anything, I have them practice. Take bucking rivets for instance. I had them practice on a scrap piece just to get the feel for the trigger on the gun, then I let them shoot the rivets while I bucked. They are an awesome help when I need something clecoed or unclecoed, also when putting rivets in a hole and taping. My suggestion is find something your little one likes to do and go with it. Make sure you show them the task first, and then be paitent while they do it. Don't get upset if they make a mistake, or this may scare them away. If you make a mistake, so them what happened, and then show them that you can fix it, no biggy. I think my kids are having more fun than me building. They love telling their friends at school about their progress. Heck, can you imagine the their grade when they do a project on aerodynamics.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Always stress the wear of safety equipment. My kids wear eye, ear and hand protection when riveting/grinding. I don't let them prime because the respirator doesn't seal to their face that well but a dust mask works well for grinding/sanding. I still haven't let them use the band saw. That thing scares the crap out of me let alone. Just keep a close eye out on what is going on at all time and everything should be good to go.

re: little helpers

I've got two daughters, 10 & 15, & a wife. They ALL enjoy helping whenever I ask. :) The 10 yr. old comes out in the hanger every chance she gets. It's great having that extra hand pulling clecoes & inserting the next rivet, saves a bundle of time. The 15 yr. old is good with the hand squeezer & helping to lift & turn things over & holding things, & basically doing anything I ask. My wife does anything I ask. She wants to go places, fast.
You'd be surprised how much they learn & don't even know they're learning it. It's interesting when they come home from school & hear that they read something in the science book in class about an aileron, or elevator, or prop wash, & they knew what it was talking about or at least it wasn't completely alien to them. But kind of seemed surprised that no one else had a clue as to what they were talking about.
I'd say get the kit. Just helping with the inventory keeps them from in front of the TV. That's another soapbox, I hate the TV. Such a waste of time.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 builder, wings

svanarts said:
And you're building a plane that only one of them can ride in at a time? That's just not fair! :)

Or are we building a plane that I can stay on the ground and watch them fly? ;)

It's all fun and games

bmurrish said:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Always stress the wear of safety equipment. My kids wear eye, ear and hand protection when riveting/grinding. I don't let them prime because the respirator doesn't seal to their face that well but a dust mask works well for grinding/sanding. I still haven't let them use the band saw. That thing scares the crap out of me let alone. Just keep a close eye out on what is going on at all time and everything should be good to go.

Bill has some great points on being safe. I don't think you can be too safe with kids.
I don't have any kids but "eye" remember my Mom telling me, "It's all fun and games till somebody gets a eye poked out. And saying 'I am sorry' won't bring it back!"

Mine loved to cleco, fetch stuff, hold parts, sit in and make airplane noises, etc.

HSHelper5.JPG

Firewall_Helper.JPG

helper1.jpg

My son is 4. He is always in the house when any of the "loud" tools are used. "Loud" tools in his terminology, not mine. He has his own "tools". They are a plastic set that we bought him. He is too young to truly help, but he is a lot of fun to have in the garage while building.

100_0642.jpg

Back