What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping an RV8 by container - suggested shippers and packing methods

Westerhuis

Hi

I'd like to ship my RV8 to the United Kingdom from the Boston area. I have been in touch with Brad from Neel Aviation who has provided me with a quote.

Before I decide to hand over the whole process (and a whack of money) which still involves me having to ferry the a/c to Florida, I wondered how much work it is to dismantle and pack the aircraft myself?

Can anyone recommend a good logistics company who can deliver me a 40ft container, collect it and ship it to the UK? As well as an insurer?

Does anyone have any detailed photos of how to load the aircraft? I have seen photos where Brad uses straps, foam and plastic wrap to secure the a/c on mounting points. No use of wood which I believe is a concern.

Any other tips greatly appreciated.

I would not want to risk my aircraft arriving in the UK with damage, but at the same time if it is something that can be relatively easily done with some thought I'd rather spend the money I safe on LL100 (which is double the price in the UK :eek:)

Thanks

Rogier

I was looking at a similar situation and was impressed by how much there was in terms of paperwork, details, etc. There's more to it than just taking the plane apart and putting it into a container.

I havent actually done it, but I will be shipping soon. I can tell you the wings and tail come off fairly easily, both can be done in one day. Van's told me an rv-8 will fit in a 20 foot container, but that's with the tail removed and likely the prop and spinner off too.

Matson quoted me about $5000 Hawaii to California. I dont know If they ship to UK or not, but it's about the same distance.

Make sure you tell them it's an airplane. I've heard of guys that try to lie and say it house hold good to save on shipping costs and when it goes though customs they get slapped with an additional fee which pretty much doubles the cost. It sounds like you are being responsible about it though.

Brad Neel is a professional, has been in the business for a long time, knows all the in's and out's. We have used him in the past and were completely satisfied.
Dick

Good point Paul. In fact, I was his second in command on the return journey! It was an amazing adventure but I don't really have the confidence to do it on my own, and having taken the risk once I am not sure if I want to take the risk of 3 - 4 hour (icy) water crossings again... ;)

I recently shipped a RV-4 to Germany. If you remove the tailspring and spinner a RV-8 would fit fine in a 20ft container. Tail has to come off. I have some detailed photos of how to build a rack and secure the airplane in the container if interested.

Last edited:
I recently shipped a RV-4 to Germany. If you remove the tailspring and spinner a RV-8 would fit fine in a 20ft container. Tail has to come off. I have some detailed photos of how to build a rack and secure the airplane in the container if interested.

Hi Bob - Thanks I would certainly be interested in seeing some photos.

Have you looked at shipping it RORO? Being that you are in Boston you are already at a popular port for European shipments. I don't know about airplanes, but we used to ship helicopters like that and it worked pretty slick. Granted you can't land at the dock, but it might be doable.

DEM

Back