What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy to Skirt seal

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
What is the most common way to seal/join the canopy and the top of the skirt?
Rivets are done and filled with epoxy, aft joint is glassed, trimming is done, sanding is almost done and epoxy primer will follow.

I was thinking of applying a small bead of epoxy resin from front to back, both sides, to mainly prevent water from entering when dribbling down, or dust and air, etc...

Seal

Agree with Sikaflex but it won't stick unless both surfaces are abraded and coated with Aktivator and Primer. Proseal is another option but difficult to get a nice bead. Tape off, apply, cure a couple days then peel the tape with fingers crossed.

Tape off, apply, cure a couple days then peel the tape with fingers crossed.
I didn't use nor have Sikaflex handy.

I agree Larry, the tape peeling might be hair raising...
Electrical tape maybe??
Otherwise the resin through a small 1/8ish inch syringe??

Or am I over-thinking this and builders don't seal this area??

Seal

I didn't use nor have Sikaflex handy.

I agree Larry, the tape peeling might be hair raising...
Electrical tape maybe??
Otherwise the resin through a small 1/8ish inch syringe??

Or am I over-thinking this and builders don't seal this area??

Don't know if others seal it. Seems logical. I did a one piece fiberglass skirt. It was sikaflexed in place so it's sealed.
I would tape off a line with electrical tape. Apply sealant of choice. Squeeze it in the gap wiping all but the remaining in the gap. Allow it to cure partially. Cure till it's almost set but not gooey. Peel the tape. With any luck, it will come off with a clean line.

Peeling tape

Thanks Larry, peeling the tape before it sets is a great tip!!!
I?ll wait to hear from other 8 builders for more ideas and suggestions.

Back