What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I land on dirt strips with my RV-7?

roofus4

I'm planning a trip out west that will include Utah. I was visiting the UTAH Back Country Pilots Association website (https://utahbackcountrypilots.org) and looks like a bunch of fun little dirt strips to fly into (IBEX Hardpan, Mineral Canyon, Fry Canyon, etc). However, I noticed that the guys posting pics of their planes on those strips have tall gear, big tires, and no wheel pants. I saw no RVs in the few pics I was looking at. Of course that doesn't mean an RV can't land there, I'm just wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't? Not only landing, but also taking off with all that dust. Is that bad too? I have landed on grass a number of times, but not dirt.

I have a taildragger -7, and I'd like to leave the wheel pants on due to wanting efficiency for the long flights I will be making.

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
Vlad has landed his 9A on Dirt, Rocks, Sand, ice, you name it. AND, he lives in Utah now Message him and I am sure he will give you all of the tops you want.
As far as the dirt, I would just make sure your air box, carb heat, and alternate air are all sealed well.

Robert I checked several backcountry strips and can tell you the 7 could easily make Hidden Splendor, Cedar Mountain and Ibex. Assuming you are current on short fields. Absolutely no go to Fry Canyon. I will check Mexican Mountain soon. Just be on top of your slow speeds and remember nobody sees you on go arounds you can do as many as you want :)

Edit; if your RV is a shiny showplane you might reconsider Hidden Splendor. You might get paint chipped.

Last edited:
BIG STONES !!

Comparing Vlad's picture of a successful landing on a "Dirt/Stone Strip" to the smooth appearing Dirt Strip on the Video: "Amazing video of RV nose gear collapse shot with GoPro" and seeing and hearing of the damages and Injuries, I think I am losing any and all desire to go with intent off pavement in any tricycle gear. :eek::eek:

Last edited:
The key to taking off from dirt and/or rock infested runways is to advance the throttle very slowly until you have the aircraft moving. When the aircraft is sitting still the prop will pick up rocks. Not so much after you are moving.

I flew a Mooney off a gravel strip for several years without prop damage. And the Mooney has very minimum prop/ground clearance.

The key to taking off from dirt and/or rock infested runways is to advance the throttle very slowly until you have the aircraft moving. When the aircraft is sitting still the prop will pick up rocks. Not so much after you are moving..

I agree and it's not only on unimproved runways. I was based in Mineola, TX and although it's an asphalt runway it has so much loose gravel on it due to weeds growing through the runway sides that it'll eat up your prop quickly. Saw a Cherokee 180 with a great prop getting destroyed in less than a year.

Mineral Canyon is typically pretty smooth, but can be very soft, especially at the north end. We were camping there (C185 and a Husky) when a Cherokee 140 landed (stock tires). They got stuck after landing while trying to turn around. They got stuck again while taxiing out to takeoff. Both times they had to shut down and pull the airplane out of the soft stuff.

The pic above of Hidden Splendor is exactly how it’s been every time I’ve been there. Pretty smooth as far as dirt strips go, but be careful pulling lots of power while taxiing. Shut down if necessary to pull the airplane into it’s parking spot vs. abusing the prop.

Carry a satphone or InReach, as hiking out of most Utah strips would be difficult, if not impossible. Carry several gallons of water as a precaution (we always carry a 7 gallon jug in each airplane).

Southern Utah is one of the most amazing places on earth. I can’t recommend it highly enough, but you need to be careful. Most strips are above 4000’ MSL, which means density altitudes of 7000’+ are not uncommon, and most are less than 2000’ long (Ibex hardpan excluded). Just know that you’ll have a few nicks and scratches on the bottom of the airplane, but it’s worth it, imo.

i-tsB9QBd-L.jpg

Robert I checked several backcountry strips and can tell you the 7 could easily make Hidden Splendor, Cedar Mountain and Ibex. Assuming you are current on short fields. Absolutely no go to Fry Canyon. I will check Mexican Mountain soon. Just be on top of your slow speeds and remember nobody sees you on go arounds you can do as many as you want :)

Edit; if your RV is a shiny showplane you might reconsider Hidden Splendor. You might get paint chipped.

Gee that was brave in an A!😉👍😂:D

To the OP, about 95% of my flying is done from dirt, gravel or grass airfields in my RV-7. There are potentially a few mods to look at that may help a little. If you want to keep the wheel pants on and see yourself flying into these types of airfields often, you should look at installing the following tire that will fit on your standard rim, used the same tube, be be 1" wider and 1" larger in diameter. If the existing wheel pants were filled according to Van's spec, they should still have 1/2" clearance at the top, and just need to be trimmed around the bottom a little to fit the tire (I trim to 1/2" clearance and that seems to work fine).

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23360

I'd also recommend some 3M paint protection film on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer, and perhaps some under flap, where I seem to have a ding or two.

Whilst grass, dirt and gravel are fine, it's the undulations or roughness that's more of a problem. The RV's gear legs can take a bounce or two, but they have little damping. I flew off a well mown strip but undulating strip and ended up causing a crack in the wheel pant around the rear mounting screws. This was fixed by reinforcing the area with an aluminum plate and soft, flush AN426A3 rivets, but annoying all the same.
In all, a totally capable backcountry aircraft on prepared strips assuming you do your part.
Good luck.
Tom.

@Tom: with your experience... would you have done all those landings with the 7's standard tires too? or would that have been a nogo?

i plan to land on grass/gravel and i'm thinking to "ugrade" to the 380's...

Good question Kay. When I was building, I was not going to do the conversion because I was being a weight weenie (they add 3lbs total) then when I told an RV-8 owner/builder (who was already flying) about the option, he said to me I would be crazy not to. He too has since converted and loves it, as he was previously having problems with his aircraft sinking into soft ground, and the 380 gives you a significantly increased contact patch area. I don't have a aviation based reference point to give you as I've only flown with the bigger tires, but here's an example that may put it into context.
Going from a 26" mountain bike to a 27.5 (or 650b for you Euro types) is a 5.7% increase in diameter. Going from a 26" to 29" is a 11.5% increase. The difference in ability to roll over rocks and roots on a 29" bike is massive compared to the 26". The switch from a 5.00x5 to a 380x150-5 is a 8% increase.
From a float perspective on soft ground, the 380 is 23% wider, which combined with the increased diameter, will give a noticeably larger contact patch and subsequent confidence in soft ground. Your tailwheel will sink in before your mains do and I think that's a good order of operations.
It also means you can fit half decient sized chocks behind the wheel and it makes it easier pushing the aircraft on the ground.
In all, yes I would do it again. There are things I wouldn't (like putting in an over priced IFR GPS), but this mod is would have to probably be my #2 favourite, only beaten by the Supertracks canopy opening extension.
Another option to keep in mind if flying off dirt/grass strips is an aftermarket tailwheel. The factory one has a arrestor hook look to it, which won't play well with rabbit holes. I have a JD unit, but there are others out there also that will have a better capability of riding through holes than the factory option.
All said, my next RV will likely be an electric powered RV-9 with 8.5x6 (or bigger) so I can properly land off-field.
Cheers,
Tom.

I fly 800-6 tires on my RV9 and have been in and out of strips that have 3" and larger rocks. There is surely a weight penalty, and drag penalty (no fairings) but worthwhile IMO. I do have a 3-blade Catto which provides a lot more clearance than a 2-blade prop.

I agree and it's not only on unimproved runways. I was based in Mineola, TX and although it's an asphalt runway it has so much loose gravel on it due to weeds growing through the runway sides that it'll eat up your prop quickly. Saw a Cherokee 180 with a great prop getting destroyed in less than a year.

were you at wisener or wood county? my dad was at wood county until he passed away. I have his hangar there up for sale if you know anybody that is looking for a hangar there.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back