What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing infinity grip

Capt Cowboy

I'm New Here
Has anyone ever undone the wire connection inside an infinity grip? My front stick in my RV8 is about 4 inches too high. I would like to cut 4 inches off the stick while the wires on the inside are out of the cut zone, and then reinstall the grip. After many adjustments the front stick still comes too close, in the full forward position, to my G3X touch screen. Any help would be much appreciated.
Doug

It may be possible to use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Remove the grip. Move the wire bundle to one side. Use the Dremel to cut a third or so of the circumstance, move the wire again, cut some more, etc.

This is just a guess without seeing your specific installation.

It may be possible to use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Remove the grip. Move the wire bundle to one side. Use the Dremel to cut a third or so of the circumstance, move the wire again, cut some more, etc.

This is just a guess without seeing your specific installation.
+1 for this. Without knowing your plane's setup it would be dificult to advise on the wiring. However you do the cut, you will have to account for the additional wire length you will still have inside the stick, or at the bottom where it comes out.

Grip

Thanks...so IF... I had room to stuff the extra 4 inches of wires back down the stick, how do you remove the 4 inch cut off piece, without undoing the connections in the grip?

Since you?ll have extra wire anyway, I?d be inclined to say label then cut the wires at the base then when the grip is finished, install db connectors to reconnect them after the stick is cut and the grip is back on. That way if the stick ever has to be removed for anything, it?s a quick and easy job.

Don?t try. Remove the grip and the wires, cut the stick, cut the needed slot in the stick, reinstall.

Look at the Infinity Grip install instructions.

Carl

Pipe Cutter

I used an electrician friend's heavy duty pipe cutter. Resulted in a very clean cut and then used a hacksaw to cut a slot from the pipe to slide off the wire.

Doing it over again, I would disconnect the wires (not from within the grip), cut the pipe and slide the wires back down the stick, then reconnect.

The reason I wouldn't disconnect the wires in the grip - too much soldering to be done on a bunch of small connections, all while inside the airplane.

Don?t try. Remove the grip and the wires, cut the stick, cut the needed slot in the stick, reinstall.

Look at the Infinity Grip install instructions.

Carl

X2. Trying to remove then reinstall (resolder) the wires to their switches asks for problems. Even more so cutting them and trying to reconnect through alternate means. I urge keeping the wires and switches intact.

If the builder was planning ahead, he would have installed terminal blocks at the base of the stick somewhere. Then you could simply disconnect the wires at the terminal block, pull them out of the stick, cut the stick, cut the excess wire, reinstall the wire in the stick, reinstall terminals on the newly cut wire ends, reattach new terminals to the terminal block.

Yep, go ahead, ask me what I did with my Infinity installation!

I would cut the wires at the bottom of the stick. Pull the grip off with the wires still attached, cut the stick and prepare the end per the instructions, fish wires down the stick, install grip, and install a robust connector at the bottom where the wires were cut. My 2 cents.

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts. I?ll cut the wires at the bottom of the stick and install some nice connectors after shortening that stick.
Doug.

Back