What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is a mothership visit worthwhile?

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I saw a post from somebody who is going to Aurora for a tour and test flight later this month. It got me thinking. I'm travelling to Seattle in 2 weeks to attend an EAA SportAir workshop. I could change my flight out and go a day earlier and drive the 3 hours to Van's for a tour. I don't technically qualify for their test flight as I've been up in an RV-6A once, not sure how picky they are about that. My question to those of you who've made the trip for the tour, is it worth the effort and cost? If I don't do it now, I'll probably get a chance to do it when I get transition training next year sometime.

I would of course use the opportunity to pick up some parts and save a few bucks worth of shipping. One can never have enough parts.

I went in July for the first time (been building Rvs for about seven years) and enjoyed it. I like equipment and tools so a more technical tour would have been nice. The guy that gave the tour said he did not know all the goings on as he has only been working there for two years. I'm sure I knew more about most of the equipment they use then he did but that's OK. I would have liked to have been able to be a fly on the wall and just stand out of the way and watch parts being made.

Yes...

Sounds like you can make it worthwhile with the Van's tour, save some shipping, pick up even more goodies tax and shipping free from Pacific Coast Avionics, then go to Evergreen Museum in McMinville and see the spruce goose. I just took six of us free today using my EAA card.

I went to visit this spring, as I was out visiting family in California. My reasoning was the same as yours: I'm close, will take advantage to stop in.

I visited on a Friday, which I now know is one of the "off" days. The place was very quiet. No one in the shop area, a skeleton crew in the office. There were 4 small groups on the tour. We spent about 30 min walking through the shop. While the guide knew somethings, several questions from the group were not able to be answered.

After the tour, four of us were interested in rides. (Never asked if we'd flown in an RV before, if I recall, so don't think that is strictly enforced.) Three of us wanted to fly the -14, one the -8. There was a single pilot working, so had to go one at a time. The wait was long, as the rides were ~20 min each. The guys waiting to fly the -8 didn't plan enough time and had to leave before he got a turn.

The flight was nice. Got to cruise around the beautiful area. Pilot demo'ed some handling, let me fly a bit. I wish I had more time. I also wish I'd planned what I wanted to do in the plane before going! I likely would have been able to try out more if I did by winging it.

Overall, I would say I expected more out of the visit. I think I would not make a special trip for just a factory visit if I were to do it over. I did get to spend a day or so in Portland, which was lovely. If you combine the trip with other things to do in the area, then that might make more sense.

Regards

I had a chance see the Vans company 5 years ago after having built and flown the 7A.

It is most worth while any time, they are good people trying to serve the market as best they can. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit.

As far as a demo ride, what for? Everyone loves flying a RV, a demo ride is a waste of time and money. :)

Back