What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel mount 796

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone come up with a way to mount a 796 flat to a panel without using the Airgizmo mount? We mounted a 696 and had good luck with that but I do not have a 796 to look at. I'm not interested in a quick removal solution as I do not plan on removing it other than to get at what I need to. Where is the on /off button and can I have the unit come on when I turn on the avionics buss? I think that is what we had on the 696.
I'm wandering if I could incorporate the Garmin bare wire aviation mount into this somehow?

Can someone fix the heading to 796?
Thanks Ron

Last edited:
Anyone come up with a way to mount a 796 flat to a panel without using the Airgizmo mount? We mounted a 696 and had good luck with that but I do not have a 796 to look at. I'm not interested in a quick removal solution as I do not plan on removing it other than to get at what I need to. Where is the on /off button and can I have the unit come on when I turn on the avionics buss? I think that is what we had on the 696.
I'm wandering if I could incorporate the Garmin bare wire aviation mount into this somehow?

Can someone fix the heading to 796?
Thanks Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes, the aera 796 bare wire mount will allow you to surface mount the unit with 4 screws (provided).

cf-lg.jpg

The 796 will power up when aircraft power is applied and power-down when power is removed unless you ask it to remain on. The power button is on the top.

The bare wire cable breaks out power, ground, both RS-232 ports, and the alert audio (traffic, terrain, obstacles). It also has a USB connector if you need to connect a GXM 40/42 satellite weather/music receiver.

The unit easily snaps into this mount and you can reach around the side of the unit to press the release button if you want to remove it from the mount.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve, one other question, I plan on purchasing the 796 from ACS. They list a unit without GXM weather receiver (still 796) . Not sure I understand this, but I think it's a designated external antenna rather than the suction cup external antenna supplied with the unit.
I had a 696 with the suction cup style weather antenna and this is what I would like in the 796 model.

Contact Stein

Stein cut me a panel which allowed me to use the bare wire cradle mentioned above. But be sure that your put a notch in to allow for the SD card to be inserted . . . - I'll try and post a picture.

Steve, one other question, I plan on purchasing the 796 from ACS. They list a unit without GXM weather receiver (still 796) . Not sure I understand this, but I think it's a designated external antenna rather than the suction cup external antenna supplied with the unit.
I had a 696 with the suction cup style weather antenna and this is what I would like in the 796 model.

Hi Ron,

ACS lists two options for the aera 796. The unit by itself, and the unit bundled with a GXM 42 antenna.

I am not familiar with a suction cup mount for the GXM 42, but a flange mount is available that can be handy to attach the antenna to some surfaces.

Let us know if we didn't answer your questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Back