What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey PC680 vs PC625

jhiggins

Looks like a lot of people are using the PC680 battery. I was wondering besides just the dimensions, why nobody mentions the PC625. Seems to be 2 lbs lighter, has higher CCA and higher reserves. Is it that users want the metal jacket offered with the 680? I was considering a new battery for an RV-6 that has the battery in the cockpit, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

PC625 fan

I use the 625 for my Subaru powered plane. One battery cranks the 6 cyl Subaru engine with no problems whatsoever.
I have a dual redundant electrical system because the engine is electrically dependent - so I have 2 batteries, but only use one for starting. The other one is powering my E-Bus during start up.
My batteries are behind the baggage bulkhead for Wt&Bal reasons, but others have mounted them on the firewall with no issues. In fact the Cessna Skycatcher uses that battery, and it is on the firewall (and not in a box).

I've been using the PC625 on my IO-360-A3B6D for 10 years and have not had any issues. I replaced it two years ago as it's cranking power was starting to decrease and I fly in winter where it gets down below 0F (I'm too much of a wimp to go flying below that).

No problems

I have two PC625's in my RV-8. I only use one to start the engine. The second battery is powering avionics during start. I have 1900 hours on the batteries and they still turn the engine over but not as quickly as they once did. I'm thinking of replacing at least one of them.

Back