What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy cover recommendation?

"Best" depends on the mission.

There are minimalist lightweight covers and there are more elaborate padded covers. Depends on what do you want the cover to be and do.

I have the Bruce one-piece canopy and engine cover with the extended sides, and I love it. I bought it when I had the plane tied down out side waiting for a hanger. I now use it in the hanger, but one clove the Velcro and clips around the engine openings. It's heavy enough to stay put over the canopy without the straps with the plane in the anger - providing extra canopy protection and closing off the engine and NCAA intakes. Worth every penny!

Robert
RV7

Aircraft covers, Arlington Wa

I was in pinch when a windstorm tore apart my Van's lightweight cover and more weather was coming in. I emailed Bruce's and they had a 1 month lead time. I found aircraft covers in Arlington Wa. She made me a good fitting cover in 2 days for less than Bruce's.

I have the one from Cleveland Tools. I guess it's a travel cover. Very light. Well made. Fits great. And it is long enough to cover my slider in a storm and keep the water out.

Also depends on where you are going to use it. If you are parking in an area with lots of wind blown dust and sand, then its going to get under even the best cover and will likely scratch the canopy. I've gone away from covers altogether and just use a reflective screen inside the canopy just for this reason. I'd rather have a layer of dust ON the canopy than have it ground INTO it.

That said, a tandem canopy cover is harder to keep from moving around than a side by side.

I have 2 of Bruce's covers - depends on mission

I have a very thin lightweight cover that is great for day trips where I want to keep the sun out when parked all day. Then I have one that is more substantial that I use for overnights - it is a bit larger and covers more gaps.

I only carry one based on my mission.

Both are Bruce's and both are great.

Love my Bruce Cover

I have Bruce cover for my RV8 for past 5 years & I love it. :) I recently read his warranty policy, although I have never used his warranty policy, I feel very comfortable I will have this same cover for life of the aircraft and if I ever have a problem it will be fixed.

Steve RV8

I have a very thin lightweight cover that is great for day trips where I want to keep the sun out when parked all day. Then I have one that is more substantial that I use for overnights - it is a bit larger and covers more gaps.

I only carry one based on my mission.

Both are Bruce's and both are great.

Which one you brought to Belfast?

Back