What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

antenna advice

scott rv-4

I'm New Here
I am upgrading my panel with a dynon 10" sky view and An SL 30. Any advice on antenna or antennas for VOR<ILS<LOC. and where to mount them ? (my wing tips are riveted on but I could drill them out if that is the correct spot)

Archer NAV antenna in wingtip

Scott: I have had total satisfaction with a Bob Archer placed internally in a wingtip. No evidence of shadowing or electrical interference from Whelen strobes. (Note: The Archer COMM did not work well mounted in the wingtip, probably due to inadequate vertical orientation. I abandoned it in place (meaning to remove it sometime and give it away, perhaps to a fabric plane builder) and installed a second whip antenna on the belly.)

Others may provide their views on this particular antenna model, or you can search the forum. I don't know how long it would take to get into your wingtip, but I think you be happier (due to risk of breakage, possible effect on speed, and eye appeal) with fewer antennas on the exterior.

I agree with Mike, our Archer antenna in the wing tip works great and is easy to install, just follow the wire routing instructions.
Phelps

Antenna

I am going with a Commant 158 for GS,Loc,VOR under the belly just forward of the HS with the radials point aft. I picked this up from the forums and seems to be a good solution to the top of the Rudder eye poker.
Terry

Back