What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passenger stick SB

Vlad

Well Known Member
Recently a good buddy of mine from faraway was flying right seat in an RV and the stick separated from the base during a roll... :eek: I could not find the thread on securing the passenger stick. I remember it was discussed extensively somewhere with illustrations on different methods of attaching. Bolts, springs, pins etc.

How do you attach yours?

Van's has the SB on their website. I put a bolt in mine after the SB. But now, I sometimes want to remove it.......easily.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Telescoping pin like used in big umbrellas and stuff. Mcmaster Carr has all kinds of them.

Pin - McMaster Carr

I used the pin from McMaster Carr as well that I got from another builder on the forum close to me. I think I swapped him the brake master cylinder springs upgrade that some of us are doing. The pin works well and I haven't heard anyone going that route having any issues.

I'm not flying yet and not allowed to go upside down in mine :)

The real reason is that your pilot spouse would whack you over the head if you did it any other way. :D

I got your back, T.

Yeah, that was one of the shortest build decision conversations we ever had. I think you assumed that she is flying from the right side :). I've been the one flying from the right side for about the last year. I get my hand slapped if I talk about getting in the left seat, even solo. (What did you do to my seat..., Where is my headset...,) I sure don't want there to be any way for that stick to come out, at all.

"Pip" pin for me - positive lock, requires a push and pull to remove - and you can take it out without getting a pair of wrenches.

I can't imagine ever putting a stick in with nothing but friction....

Paul

I use the friction of two velco straps. You ain't going to pull the stick out.

Kent:D

You would be surprised the forces you can generate when you are safety pilot for an out of control pilot in PIO at 120kts

Yeah, that was one of the shortest build decision conversations we ever had. I think you assumed that she is flying from the right side :). I've been the one flying from the right side for about the last year. I get my hand slapped if I talk about getting in the left seat, even solo. (What did you do to my seat..., Where is my headset...,) I sure don't want there to be any way for that stick to come out, at all.

Yeah, you're right...and we all know what happens when we "assume"...

It'll be good practice for when you get the 8 finished, though. You won't have to teach your right hand to fly... :p

I've been the one flying from the right side for about the last year. I get my hand slapped if I talk about getting in the left seat, even solo.

Now that is funny. Reminds me of that commercial out now where the guy's wife is riding the Harley while he gets the keys to the minivan. :D

Big Ask

Guys,

I put in an order for a bag of the pins http://www.mcmaster.com/#92988a650/=8x6wym from McMaster and got a reply saying they don't sell overseas citing "ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations" as the main reason why not. Is there anyone there who wouldn't mind buying a bag for me and posting them to Australia (preferably to me) and accepting payment via PayPal?

Guys,

I put in an order for a bag of the pins http://www.mcmaster.com/#92988a650/=8x6wym from McMaster and got a reply saying they don't sell overseas citing "ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations" as the main reason why not. Is there anyone there who wouldn't mind buying a bag for me and posting them to Australia (preferably to me) and accepting payment via PayPal?

I'll send you and email or PM...

Stick loose my fault

I had bolted the passenger stick permanently. Or so I thought. Phase One - nobody seats to the right. Phase Two - everybody. Once I had a slim lady passenger who was jamming it till I remind it's difficult to control. Next flight we went with stick removed much better controllability. Then I flew some distance and stick was removed for a bag. Then installed. Then a gentleman was quite athletic so stick goes off again. On and off and on...

Couple weeks ago a local flying legend suddenly appeared by the hangar and asked why I still didn't give him a ride. My jaw dropped, I was much honored, he holds all ratings imaginable and in his 70ies is still active flyer. Burns kerosene and avgas at alarming rate. He was quite skeptical three years ago when I brought all those loose airplane parts.

Up we go. Can I try what your airplane can do? Sure go ahead your plane... In couple seconds on attitude not that usual stick did the trick. Separated. You fly he said... I reinserted the stick back but the moment of fascination was lost I guess. I plan to put a quick release pin instead of bolt during my next condition inspection.

Since no thread on this subject has pictures of one of the McMaster or Kayak doohickeys installed, here are pics of mine.
Sorry for the link rather than the pic, but the pic is way huge and I am too lazy to resize, repost etc etc. :)

Build log page of copilot stick fastening

You would be surprised the forces you can generate when you are safety pilot for an out of control pilot in PIO at 120kts

And per Scotts comment, that is why the hole I drilled is oriented in the roll axis and not the pitch axis.

Last edited:
Back