VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Default Wiring Harness

Does anyone know of a company that builds decent wiring harnesses? I'm nearing the point of installing the avionics and do not want to go thru the effort and heartache of building my own harness for the Garmin system.
RV-7 Tip-up w/IO-360

The best time to rest is at your funeral!

VAF donor: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Old 12-25-2017, 07:58 AM

1. SteinAir http://www.steinair.com/
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 12-25-2017, 08:00 AM

A look at advertisers on this site would help. SteinAir supplied panel, avionics and built harnesses for my G3X Touch IFR panel. A pleasure to deal with, excellent work, prompt responses to all of the questions I have had.
A very satisfied customer.
Bill Brooks,
Ottawa, Canada
Old 12-25-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Stein

I shipped my radios to Stein and he built, bench tested and shipped a complete harness and my radios back me. Highly recommended!
Old 12-25-2017, 08:42 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Yep, another vote for Stein.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-25-2017, 08:57 AM

I have heard nothing but good about Stein. I see you are in Virginia. There is a fellow in Leesburg (clear across the state) named David Buckwalter who does this very thing for both experimental and type certified aircraft. We have a Javron panel with G3X he is doing right now and are extremely pleased. If it's similar shipping time/cost or there is a sales tax issue I would be comfortable with either.

I recently delivered an RV-8 to Saint Aviation in Florida for a G3X panel makeover and was suitably impressed. But I don't know if they would provide stand alone harnesses or do anything other than a full panel install at their location.

To be fair there are other outstanding wiring shops in Florida, Georgia, Texas and other locations run by professional competent VAF supporters. A VAF forum search for wiring help ought to yield instant results as this question comes up all the time.

You could also take the AEA's experimental avionics class taught multiple times a year. Even if you farm out your wiring the class is an excellent experience and you will at a minimum understand your glass panel and/or avionics much better.

Jim

Last edited by jliltd : 12-25-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:14 AM

Stein did my dual Garmin panel and did an outstanding job! would highly recommend them.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Having just gone through building my own harness for the G3X system, I have to say that itís much easier and fun than I thought it would be. I was just like you in thinking that it was a major headache and not something I wanted to mess with but decided to do it for educational purposes and Iím sure glad I did.

One thing I did was get a little help with an interconnect diagram. That took a lot of the puzzling out of it. Whichever dealer you choose likely has that as an option. I used Stark Avionics and have been very happy with his support through the process. The other thing I did was attend the AEA experimental avionics course. The course was well worth the time and money but I wouldnít consider it mandatory. If you have someone available to show you the basics of building the Can Bus and assembling the connectors you should be good to go.

I realize this doesnít really answer your question about shops that build good wire harnesses. A friend encouraged me to build my own when I planning to farm out the work and Iím definitely glad he did.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4way View Post
Having just gone through building my own harness for the G3X system, I have to say that itís much easier and fun than I thought it would be. I was just like you in thinking that it was a major headache and not something I wanted to mess with but decided to do it for educational purposes and Iím sure glad I did.

One thing I did was get a little help with an interconnect diagram. That took a lot of the puzzling out of it. Whichever dealer you choose likely has that as an option. I used Stark Avionics and have been very happy with his support through the process. The other thing I did was attend the AEA experimental avionics course. The course was well worth the time and money but I wouldnít consider it mandatory. If you have someone available to show you the basics of building the Can Bus and assembling the connectors you should be good to go.

I realize this doesnít really answer your question about shops that build good wire harnesses. A friend encouraged me to build my own when I planning to farm out the work and Iím definitely glad he did.
^^^This. Its really not that hard. You will learn a TON and it was really quite enjoyable. Stein air has a ton of you tube instructional vids that are very helpful. Give it a shot, it will save you a ton of money too. If you still don't want to do it then here is another vote for Stein.
EAA Tech Counselor
2017 Bronze Lindy
Old 12-25-2017, 03:47 PM

This is an interesting thread, can learn a lot about this stuff Had a look at Stein's website, impressive.
The one thing I notice with Vans A/C & no doubt a lot of other kit builder designs is that the panels are all over the place. I've been looking for an 8 for ages now inc 7's & the one thing that puts me off most of them is the panel! It's like some stand back throw a dart & where it lands is where the next instrument goes. A couple I've looked at have functional panels but have issues elsewhere. I guess for me coming from a commercial flying background one gets used to standardization, something that doesn't exist in the experimental world. Still it's interesting to see what's inside the heads of Vans owners:-)