What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to install the stall warner

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
When has everyone installed the stall warner? I am getting ready to rivet the leading edge assembly onto the spar and it seems like it would be much easier to install it now but I am worried about damage to the stall vane (vane getting snagged on things, ect). If you waited, how difficult was it to install through the access panel. I have the small rib already in place. Thanks in advance.

AOA

I think the most common "stall warning" system used on RVs, if any, is and angle of attack system rather than a traditional GA stall detector vane. If you plan to use an EFIS, you might want to see what those various manufacturers (Advance Flight, Dynon, etc.) offer for AOA.

Not only is the stall information more accurate, but the AOA provides other climb and glide guidance. And there are no additional external fixtures (which slow you down, look ugly, snag your clothes on the walkaround) for the AOA sensors.

Jeremy,

It is the RARE RV that has a traditional stall warning horn.

Mike is right and most people have the AOA in place of it if they have anything resembling the likes of it.

I installed the AOA from Advanced FS. I was low time back when I built my wings and thought I needed one. I don't have the experience that you do, but am far from needing one now, years later.

I am thinking that you really don't need one.

;) CJ

I would wait

Jeremy,

I'm at the same point you are. I will wait to install it much later so I don't snag it in the next few years of building. I understand the previous post about using AoA, which I plan to do as well. Since Van's sends the skin precut for the access panel and the rivet holes, I might as well as install the stall horn

Brian.

Install now

Ensure it moves freely, sand 3/16" radius on outside corners, ohm out Com-NO microswitch terminals while raising up on vane to ensure continuity, cover with a plastic cap and duct tape it down until paint or final assy. Mine goes off at 5 kts before stall. I use airspeed/control feel/stall horn without a "true" aoa system. GRT does have an AHRS derived "green dot" that is my extra safety with no extra tubing/ports, etc. My family and I don't get close enough to my LE to snag anything. Besides there is much more dangerous stuff like my VOR on bottom, Com on bottom, Elevator TE to put yourself in the ER. I check it on preflight and lubricate with LPS-1(the thin stuff)before or after flying through precip and that is about it.

I'm installing one

I have just installed it, as provided by Vans. Very easy to install before riveting the leading edge to the spar, it may be much more complicated afterwards.
I'm planning a Dynon Skyview with the AOA as well, and my reasoning is that if the Dynon fails, I'll have the stall warning as a backup. I'll tune it to activate just after the AOA warning.
Maybe it's a bit too much for some, but I like redundancy...
If I find it not useful after a while I can always remove it.
Alain.

Edit: The leading edge skin is prepunched for the stall warning support, so even if you don't install the stall warning I suggest installing the "mini rib" that supports the electronic module into the leading edge.

Last edited:
Same boat

I have just installed it, as provided by Vans. Very easy to install before riveting the leading edge to the spar, it may be much more complicated afterwards.
I'm planning a Dynon Skyview with the AOA as well, and my reasoning is that if the Dynon fails, I'll have the stall warning as a backup. I'll tune it to activate just after the AOA warning.
Maybe it's a bit too much for some, but I like redundancy...
If I find it not useful after a while I can always remove it.
Alain.

Edit: The leading edge skin is prepunched for the stall warning support, so even if you don't install the stall warning I suggest installing the "mini rib" that supports the electronic module into the leading edge.

I am planning the same thing, I already cut the slot for the vane, so I am pretty much committed to installing the system, plus I already have everything so I might as well install it. I think I am going to install it before I mount the leading edge and just cover it with a plastic cup duct taped into place.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I installed it at the same point you are. I protected it with a tent made of .032 aluminum duct taped in place.

I have the Dynon skyview with AOA which does not have audio out at this time.
I have my stall vane adjusted 5kt above stall. I really like it. It gives me a nice confirmation of correct speed just before touch down.

It also gives good accelerated stall warning in a too tight turn. When Skyview finally gets audio out (COME ON DYNON!) I will use that.

The only negative is a snag hazard on the leading edge.

Back