What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gathering bits for the new panel.. Switch time..

Tram

Well Known Member
Well, I'm pretty healed from my accident and it's time to start gathering more bits for our panel swap.

I'm looking at switches today. :)

I want some good quality, positive feel toggle switches.

They don't have to be space shuttle quality, but I don't want bargain basement stuff either. Most will be 2 position, on/off switches. I'll need something fancy for the wig-wags, but I haven't decided how to go about setting them up. I've thought about:

Up = wigwag
Middle = steady on
Down = off

That would require both lights on 1 switch though.

Anyone have any suggestions?

SteinAir

SteinAir has a good selection of switches. In my experience, its all high quality stuff -- good feel and function. Great advice/info and fast shipping.

I went for Eaton toggle switches

I think the Eaton toggle switches are really nice and high quality. The documentation is excellent too which I think is important.

(see example here: http://www.aeroelectric.com/Reference_Docs/Eaton/toggle.pdf )

I acquired all my switches (of the 85xx series) via Ebay - plenty of 'New Old Stock' available if you keep watch for a while - search for "Eaton toggle". I believe the SteinAir switches are Eaton ones.

You may also see the name 'Cutler Hammer' which is an older name of the company, I believe, before they were acquired by Eaton.

Steve

I just bought all the swirches for my RV-6 recently. I ordered carling toggle switches from digikey. The switches Stein sells are also carling. Normally I would have ordered from Stein, but I had a number of other components I needed (not all RV related) and didn't want to pay for separate shipping.

SteinAir offer a range of switches. The locking toggle switches they offer look very similar to my Eaton locking toggle switches and have the same MS specs.

Both Stein and B&C offer top quality toggle switches. They are my go-to guys. Have used them both; very happy with all.

switch options

On a related note, don't forget to consider the possible use of mini-switches for some applications, such as nav source selection or backup battery options. Less prominent and easier to place, etc. I'm sure you've seen them in some of the many nice panel pics.
Also, depending on your switch locations, you might want to consider using switchguard (the metal loop style). They are practical to avoid switch interference and, to my eye, look really cool. (With a VP-200, I didn't have enough switches to use them.) Cant beat that: practical, cool, and low cost.

Tram,
I have quite a few toggle switches I ended up not using. I bought them from either Stein or B&C. So they are the very good quality kind. I ended up going with lighted rocker switches. So, the ones I have are unused. They are just sitting in my hangar. So, I can give you a good deal on them if you are interested. PM if you are.

Tony

I put in Aveo Rockrack switches in several banks (engine stuff on the left of the EFIS, lighting and other stuff in two banks on the right side)...

I can post a picture if you're interested. I like them, and everyone who sees them is impressed.

Have you considered rocker switches, and having them engraved??

http://www.engravers.net/aircraft/rocker_switches.htm

I am very happy with the ones I used in my panel, they are under the key switch. The units under the radio stack are circuit breaker switches.

P2030032.jpg

Back