What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-320 B1A - Another question

JackW

I have an IO-320 with rear facing sump, Precision FI and an RV6A. All these are in various states of build. Also have a pair of (what look like) cheek cowls as well as the O-320 scoop. I'm trying to figure out what the previous builder was planning with this stuff. Looks like there is about 100mm (4 inches) clearance between the FI unit inlet and firewall when it is all put together.

A few questions:

1. Is there room for the FI on the rear facing sump in a 6A?

2. If so (and I'm assuming the cheek cowls are the new inlets as opposed to using the O-320 scoop), what's the air plumbing look like. does air come in through both cheeks, into an airbox/filter, then around the back to the FI unit?

3. Are these things that vaguely resemble a catcher's mit in fact cheek cowls?

(If the first question you are thinking is why don't I ask the last guy, he's dead.)

Hi Jack

I have the same engine and have just hung it on the mount,My sump had been modified to fit the injector on the front face but it still did not fit.I am now going for a new sump with the injector on the bottom and the FAB inlet to the scoop intake on the lower cowl.
Best of luck

Mark

IO-320 - Least suitable engine for 6A

Thanks for that Mark. Can't say it fills me with confidence. Might have to sling the engine into the mount and do some measuring. I recall the Twin Comanche setup had the FCU offset by about 15-30 degrees in the horizontal plane. That may give me some space to play with.

IO-320 b1A

Have the angle adaptor available if you need it. The RVAviator has an article on installing this engine and the issues needed to address. It mentions the A gear structure might be in the way of the aft feed. The pieces you mention in item 3 sound like the air intake inlet liners for the top cowl.
Walt....
RV-6A IO-320

Last edited:
RVator Version

Hey Buck, that's good news. I don't suppose you know which version of the RVator it is in?

IO-320 b1A

Hi John; I'll let you know which issue, If you like I can quote the issues it mentions. Will forward you a pic of my installation which might help.
Walt.... RV-6A IO-320B1A

IO-320 b1A

Hey John: It's in the 2000 issue , will have a pic this weekend for you.
Walt...

IO-320 B1A

Walt,

You're a gem. much appreciated. I'm going to get the engine back from the LAME in the next couple of weeks, just the crank installed and a few bolts to stop it all falling apart and bung it in the mount to see how it goes. Noted your offer of the angled adapter and I reckon I'll be talking to you about that in a few weeks. Thanks again...

IO-320B1A

Hey John: It's in the 2000 issue , will have a pic this weekend for you.
Walt...

Gents;

I would greatly appreciate a point out to the RVator that gives pointers to the install of the IO-320B1A. Is I saw N130PM on YOUTUBEdotCOm flying with one, but I dont know how he did it. I'd love to see more pics!

Rich

IO-320B1A For RV-6A

Gents;

HELP!! I am looking around for an engine and I have a line on a IO-320B1A. The only problem is that it is rear injection. Has anyone put one on a RV and how much touble was it?

Thanks!

Rich

engine

Easiest way is to just change the sump. Almost any 150-180 horsepower four cylinder sump with the horizontal oil screen should work. Try to find one with the 1 3/4" diameter intake pipes, as the 1 1/2" pipes will cost a bit of horsepower. I think the IO-320B has the small intakes, so you will need new intake tubes. The vertical screen engines have a large hex plug in the bottomof the sump. The horizontal screen sumps have a smaller hex mounted aft on the sump in a horizontal position. The Airflow people sell an adapter which bolts to the bottom of the sump and locates the injector unit horizontal. If you go this route make sure the adapter is compatable with your exhaust. The sumps are a bit hard to find but if you're patient you can find them on ebay for $150-200. The old sump will bring at least $75. The pipes from ECI are around $60 each.

Easiest way is to just change the sump. Almost any 150-180 horsepower four cylinder sump with the horizontal oil screen should work. Try to find one with the 1 3/4" diameter intake pipes, as the 1 1/2" pipes will cost a bit of horsepower. I think the IO-320B has the small intakes, so you will need new intake tubes. The vertical screen engines have a large hex plug in the bottomof the sump. The horizontal screen sumps have a smaller hex mounted aft on the sump in a horizontal position. The Airflow people sell an adapter which bolts to the bottom of the sump and locates the injector unit horizontal. If you go this route make sure the adapter is compatable with your exhaust. The sumps are a bit hard to find but if you're patient you can find them on ebay for $150-200. The old sump will bring at least $75. The pipes from ECI are around $60 each.

Ok, neophyte questions:
1. The Sump? Isnt that related to the oil?
2. Isnt the injector on the rear of the engine horizontal already? Don't I want it pointing down on the bottom? I cant understand how to get there.
3. Isnt there a way to make it a carb engine again?
4. In short what is the easiest way to make it a simple install?

IO-320 b1A

Hi Rich; I did the installation using an M1B sump (fwd facing) with the IO-360
intake snorkle. It involves cutting a 1in section, to reduce the width, from it.
This intake also requires shortened intake tubes which Vetterman can supply.
The Vetterman exhaust fits just fine and all clearances require no major mods.
It performs great and was worth the trouble. Walt...

sump

The sump is bolted to the bottom of the crankcase and rear case. It is where the oil goes and on most Lycomings the intake pipes connect to passages in the sump.
For conversion to carb you need a bottom mount pad on the sump. These are the most plentiful sumps on the used market. You will also need the appropriate fuel pump.
If you can find the right parts at a reasonable price, I would favor the fuel injection. The fuel injection on most four cylinder Lycomings will save close to one gallon per hour over a float carb.
The Bendix/precision fuel injection may be aft, front, or bottom mounted with no modification the the injector other than hoses and air intake.
There are some horizontal mount carbs but these are quite rare.

fuel injection

Found an old post from Mahlon Russell-the Bendix/Precision system does not use or require a return line. The Airflow Performance system uses a return line

IO-320B1A

Guys;
Thanks for the help!

I think I get it. What you all are saying is that the B1A had the injection intake in the rear of the sump. It all relates to the routing of the exhaust in the sump, correct? Therefore, if I replace the sump with one that has the injection mount facing downward (it is normal to have an air intake at the bottom of the engine in an RV-6) I can use this engine.

Am I getting it?

Thanks again!

Rich

you can buy a cold air induction sump like I did..

My IO360B1E had same rear facing sump. I bought a Superior cold air induction sump which changed the induction to a horizontal forward facing sump, and the intake tubes run on the outside of the sump along with the exhaust pipes. The same fuel injection servo can mount facing forward instead of rearward. Keeping the servo away from the rear avoids interference with everything going on behind the engine. The exhaust doesn't go inside the sump. Only the intakes did that on the old sump. If you are not an experienced builder, you will find it very daunting to try to make a rear injection engine fit in an RV. There was one person who did it that I know of, but its easier in my opinion to change the sump and avoid the issues. Some sumps can be modified to change direction. It is more than you would normally be able to do yourself unless you are comfortable making such modifications. You can decide yourself whether you want the induction to be vertical (bottom) or horizontal (front). Horizontal will result in a different bottom cowling on the airplane when it comes time to order that. Best of luck..

My IO360B1E had same rear facing sump. I bought a Superior cold air induction sump which changed the induction to a horizontal forward facing sump, and the intake tubes run on the outside of the sump along with the exhaust pipes. The same fuel injection servo can mount facing forward instead of rearward. Keeping the servo away from the rear avoids interference with everything going on behind the engine. The exhaust doesn't go inside the sump. Only the intakes did that on the old sump. If you are not an experienced builder, you will find it very daunting to try to make a rear injection engine fit in an RV. There was one person who did it that I know of, but its easier in my opinion to change the sump and avoid the issues. Some sumps can be modified to change direction. It is more than you would normally be able to do yourself unless you are comfortable making such modifications. You can decide yourself whether you want the induction to be vertical (bottom) or horizontal (front). Horizontal will result in a different bottom cowling on the airplane when it comes time to order that. Best of luck..

Great solution. I will copy you! However Superior is out of business. Anyone out there have an alternative?

ECI makes one too. Check out this link...

http://www.eci.aero/exp/cis_flyer(m253).pdf

You can also just search for a used forward facing sump, or vertical sump. They are much cheaper. There's nothing wrong with vertical vs horizontal except personal preferende. Vertical will take a scoop type lower cowl. Horizontal is what's called a slick lower cowl (no scoop).

Back